Anyone still do insightful or intelligent lyrics?

I have always loved lyrics as much as music and think that music I enjoy must be a combination of both good lyrics and good musicianship. I love some of Paul Simon's lyrics from as far back as the '60's. He was only 16 when he wrote "Sounds of Silence." There are dozens of other examples from Simon and Garfunkel.

Lyle Lovett has written some great lyrics i.e. "Simlpe Song."

Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, Hoyt Axton, John and Paul, Mick and Richard, Emmylou Harris, Gordon Lightfoot, and even Midge Ure have written things that impressed me, but I find very few people writing great lyrics anymore!

Is anyone writing intelligent, insightful lyrics anymore?
128x128nrchy
Regiolanthe - thanks for the tip. Will look into it. Anyone for something more lyrically obscure? How about Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians 'Element of Light' ?

CD
Albert, you're right.

Now that I think of it, GW's thoughts at the time he was sitting in that classroom were probably as barren as an Afghani desert. I'm sure Slick Willy's mind was filled with multi-colored, booty-licious, intern explosions while Monica was a bobbin' away. Whoa, that last part sounded like a Paul Simon song.

Thanks, UncleJeff! I guess many of my posts are inspired by a delirious confusion caused by staring at 1280 x 1024 pixel resolution boobs at work.

I love my job!
I have to third or fourth-Aimee Mann. I don't think she has any peers in the lyrics/poetry department... along with excellent arrangements.
Like stated, Byrne. He is a prototypical intelligent lyricist. It may be tucked in somewhere on this thread, but I'm a little surprised I did not read "Ani DiFranco".
And now I stand, forsaking pride The time has come to turn the tide I've drawn the line, I've built my wall And I won't let one more dream fall All days of innocence, I surrendered long ago Where's the wind that takes me higher The hand that offers peace The heart that still gives shelter? I want to go back to find The innocent days that I left behind I still believe they're holding ground Behind the Battle Lines If it takes a million miles over land and sea Gonna swim in the rivers of purity I know they still run free Behind the Battle Lines One more mountain I must climb I've scaled so many in my time And if the sun goes down on me The light of truth will help me see All days of innocence, I surrendered long ago Where's the voice that speaks of mercy The eyes that are not blind The love that's never ending? A vision of eternity Oh, Lord! Never take the dream from me Here I am, standing at the edge of destiny?”