Anyone still do insightful or intelligent lyrics?

I have always loved lyrics as much as music and think that music I enjoy must be a combination of both good lyrics and good musicianship. I love some of Paul Simon's lyrics from as far back as the '60's. He was only 16 when he wrote "Sounds of Silence." There are dozens of other examples from Simon and Garfunkel.

Lyle Lovett has written some great lyrics i.e. "Simlpe Song."

Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, Hoyt Axton, John and Paul, Mick and Richard, Emmylou Harris, Gordon Lightfoot, and even Midge Ure have written things that impressed me, but I find very few people writing great lyrics anymore!

Is anyone writing intelligent, insightful lyrics anymore?
128x128nrchy
I take an active dislike to groups who think that one line repeated 4 times is a chorus. Some popular, some critically acclaimed. To me, just lazy.

How about Sarah McLachlan, Joe Pernice (of the Pernice Bros.), Jane Siberry, Tom Russell, Loreena McKinnitt, Peter Case? You can see their catalogs at http://www.allmusic.com/.

Happy Hunting!
Steely Dan's latest LP is full of lyrics that rival good poetry in that they can mean so many things to different people. I love the mental picture great lyrics provide.

Although I wasn't crazy about her most recent album, I think Lucinda Williams is one of the best contemporary songwriters. Among lesser knowns, I strongly believe that Freedy Johnston and Amy Rigby deserve more attention. For something very strange and wonderful--and also off the beaten path--try the Handsome Family, a sort of Flannery O'Connor meets Johnny Cash kind of deal. Eerie, but amazing.
I've always found the lyrics of Rushes Neil Peart to be extremely intelligent and thought provoking. He has published several literary works as well. A favorite of mine from Natural Science "When the ebbing tide retreats along the rocky shoreline it leaves a trail of tidal pools in a short lived galaxy. Each microcosmic planet a complete society. A simple kind of mirror to reflect upon our own- all the busy little creatures chasing out there destinies. Living in their pools they soon forget about the sea..."
Springsteen's early songs were relevant to his times and personal experiences growing up in a middle class NJ household. His lyrics on some songs rivaled great poetry. His latest albums are getting back to that personal experience style. I also like Heart's, Robert Cray's, Van Morrison, Lyle Lovett, and Melissa Ethridge's lyrics. I don't know if they compare to some of the best, but I enjoy them.