Stuck in a Rut

Over the past 30 odd years I have been mostly listening to Rock (Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Bowie and all of the other great British and American bands.
I have also been listening to Jazz (Davis, Brubeck, Chet)
and assorted other Jazz artists.
For classical I love Betthovan's 7th and Tchaikovsky final symphony as examples.
But I know that there other great albums not only in the Rock, Jazz and Symphonic categories but in international ones as well. I would appreciate any suggestions not only on Rock, Jazz or Classical but also on any other category which is not lite but great.

Thanks...
henry_10023
I really dig Stan Ridgways solo stuff! Almost anything the guy does has been exceptional. I don't like all of his cuts of his cd's ,but there are always 4-5 songs I like. I have like 9 of his CD's and made a compilation which took up 2 full cd's.

Look up things at this site!
http://www.allmusic.com/
Advice above is good, especially concerning classical -- Beethoven 7 and Tchaikovsky 6 and that's it? Sheesh. Go buy yourself recordings of the Bach's Goldberg Variations, Brandeburg Concertos, and Violin Partita in D minor, Haydn's Cello Concertos, some Mozart string quintets, Beethoven Opus 110 and 111 piano sonatas and opus 131 string quartet, Berlioz Nuits d'Ete, Schubert's trout quintet, Chopin's Nocturns or Ballades, List B Minor Sonata, Brahms Violin Concerto and Sonatas for Cello and Piano, Mahler's 1st and 9th Symphonies, Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit and Daphnis and Chloe Suite, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Song of the Nightingale, Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra and some of his string quartets, Prokofiev's 3rd piano concerto and 7th piano sonata, Barber's Cello Concerto and Shostakovich Symphonie #5. Then you will have a sampling of what are all themselves overplayed warhorses of the classical literature -- all of them great, none at all obscure. (Other people could just as easily generate equally valid and completely different short lists). If you get bored of these, then no worries, because each one suggests about a thousand other things to listen to. Oh, and you get the pleasure of being able to compare performances of the same pieces too. Gould's and Kirkpatrick's Goldberg variations could hardly be more different, and both are awesome things.

On the non-classical side, check out some Frank Zappa. He sounds like nothing else, and part of what's great about his work is that, while most of it is packaged in rouughly the format of standard rock band, his composing, with its myriad chord changes, quick time shifts, build and release crescendos, often extremely long melodic lines, virtuoisic passages and choral counterpoint, has virtues like those found in the best jazz and classical material, even of the hard-to-take-in avant garde varieties. So listening to Zappa with the right kind of ear can be a wedge into other music that is somewhat hard to grasp at first, but extremely rewarding when you learn how to hear it. I recommend "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life", and "We're Only in it for the Money" for easy entry into Zappa. Carefull though: When I started listening to Zappa -- long after being saturated in classical music for well over a decade -- I hardly listened to anything else for 3 years. Still not bored though.

As for jazz, get some Louis Armstrong and the Hot 5's and 7's from around 1927-1930. If you haven't listened to that, then you haven't heard jazz. Everone is still playing Louis' solos.

Man there's so much. No need to get bored.

RNM

RNM
To avoid boredom with classical music, buy several discs of the same piece. Brahms and Tchaikovsky violin concertos are a good place to start.

An interesting feature of classical music is that you can find many recordings of some of the great pieces, and compare the style of various performers. The variation of interpretations is remarkable, and I am talking of performances which all are good, by highly regarded musicians. For example: I have five or six recordings of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto, and while I don't have time to listen to all of them at one sitting, I do enjoy playing just one movement several times as played by different artists, and reflecting on the different interpretations. This approach will open up another dimension to your musical experience.

All the above are great. Try doing a A/B comparison of Nick Drake's 'Pink Moon' to Beck's 'Sea Change' - Drake reincarnate.....30 years later. (warning: not for the already depressed). :-)

Also try these:

Jazz:
Carlton Rittenour: Larry & Lee
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

Rock:
Lou Reed - Magic & Loss
Radiohead - Kid A

Blues:
B.B. King - Blues on the Bayou
Ronnie Earl - Guitar Virtuoso Live in Europe

Classical:
Arvo Part - Te Deum