Todays Raido Stations suck

Is it just me, or does todays Radio suck?
When I was a teenager FM was cool, it had laid back D,jays and they played cool new music. That's were I first heard Alex Harvey, Hawkwind,Atomic Rooster,Zappa,The amboy dukes,
Robin Trower,Roxy music,BOC,Captain Beyond,Audience,
Bowie,Steely Dan,etc.

The AM of that day used to be Hit Radio, and played the top hits of the day.

FM today has become Hit radio, with a lot of cookie cutter stations all playing the same old hits, with a few of those old fm classic hits as well.

Does it only bug me, that they only play the one hit off the LP over and over again. When in fact the lp had even better tunes on it, but they never play them.

Recently with the advent of eBay, I have been able to collect a lot of rare and Great music that I never new existed before.

When my friends here the new tunes I have They get the same Idea that I always get, to start a new radio station that plays this unknown treasure. As well as the songs like "Candys gone bad" off of the Golden Earring lp with Radar love on it, you know the one.

You know what I'm talking about, am I alone here.

I must state that I live in a smaller town now, but we can still pick up the Jacksonville Florida stations.
Does this kind of practice go on all over the country?

The new music of today no longer interests me with Rap and the Rock of today all sounds the same, with only minor exceptions like Radiohead.

WHAT do you think, is their some stations that I could pickup on the internet that would satisfy my craving?

would you like to be able to get in you car and tune the radio to a station like the one I described?

128x128rockinroni
Unclejeff, I disagree with your analogy about the state of todays radio vs. 50 years ago - it was much more local and diverse then. You can pick a trivial tune off the hit parade, sure, but you're ignoring the rich stew of musics from which rock & roll developed. Also, you're confusing the continued evolution of a pre-established art form with the birthing of something really new - do you actually think that in our current mass-media climate, a new musical art form on the scale of rock & roll could spontaneously arise? I don't believe that's happening any time soon, and that the continued viability of rock as a post-golden-age but still-able-to-regenerate art form is being stifled like never before. Keep this up for long enough, and even the quality of the underground withers over time, as new generations coming up lack the exposure to a stimulating, organic artistic environment (remember, it's a pop art form, and that implies some degree of mass accessability and participation in its growth) that forms within them the raw material necessary for new important artistic movements. Rock is a dissapated and stratified art form whose remaining energy is either yoked to a money machine or toiling in obscurity, and whereas radio once nurtured it, it now does its best to squash the life out of it.
Right on Zaikesman! Todays Radio Sucks. Mtv,VH1,BET ,what ever I have, to listen to music, it's unlistenable,most of it is just a bunch of degenerates gyrating Their pelvises in my face.
I don't know about YOU, but I find it vile and insulting to say the least. This is the modern Pop I guess. They can all drown in their degradation as far as I am concerned.
Do you think there any hope we can climb out of this muck, and get back on the road to some Pop music where people don't act disgusting, and they again play instruments?
Nrchy, my Parents like rock & roll. My mom is a big Elvis fan.
Jposs, I don't go to clubs and anyway Kids can't go to clubs. where are they supposed to go to become indoctrinated.
This is what Zaikesman is talking about.
Well if there is no acceptible solution, I guess your done. Just forget about it. What good does complaining do? You all are complaining about top 40 garbage, and, looking at 1965 Billboard, top 40 has always been a waste. Edgy, innovative artists don't make it to radio. Radio is done. Its been done for years now. Find new solutions, its really not that hard. I've never listened to radio and don't have problems finding new bands.

Kids can go to clubs. Hell, I was going at 14, and there's all-ages shows. My guess is that you all have been in to popular music, but don't care for where has gone. And now, without the spoon-feeding delivery, you just can't find where the good, cool stuff is at. Well, I wouldn't worry too much about tomorrow's artists. Those people are with it enough to cut through the pop and join a more interesting scene.
Ohlala,I hope you are right about the future, you are right about top 40, never really my cup of tea, although some good bands did surface there a as well.

To start from the top all radio wasn't always like this.
Stereophile's r2d4 really doesn't do it for me either. That's why I find a lot of new tunes on ebay, Even though the LP's are most times over 30 years old.