Todays Raido Stations suck

Is it just me, or does todays Radio suck?
When I was a teenager FM was cool, it had laid back D,jays and they played cool new music. That's were I first heard Alex Harvey, Hawkwind,Atomic Rooster,Zappa,The amboy dukes,
Robin Trower,Roxy music,BOC,Captain Beyond,Audience,
Bowie,Steely Dan,etc.

The AM of that day used to be Hit Radio, and played the top hits of the day.

FM today has become Hit radio, with a lot of cookie cutter stations all playing the same old hits, with a few of those old fm classic hits as well.

Does it only bug me, that they only play the one hit off the LP over and over again. When in fact the lp had even better tunes on it, but they never play them.

Recently with the advent of eBay, I have been able to collect a lot of rare and Great music that I never new existed before.

When my friends here the new tunes I have They get the same Idea that I always get, to start a new radio station that plays this unknown treasure. As well as the songs like "Candys gone bad" off of the Golden Earring lp with Radar love on it, you know the one.

You know what I'm talking about, am I alone here.

I must state that I live in a smaller town now, but we can still pick up the Jacksonville Florida stations.
Does this kind of practice go on all over the country?

The new music of today no longer interests me with Rap and the Rock of today all sounds the same, with only minor exceptions like Radiohead.

WHAT do you think, is their some stations that I could pickup on the internet that would satisfy my craving?

would you like to be able to get in you car and tune the radio to a station like the one I described?

128x128rockinroni
When I was young, WMMR used to play 6 aldums in their entirety with no commercials on Sunday nights. They called it the Sunday Night Six Pack. I spent every Sunday night glued to the radio listening to it. Nobody does this anymore. Todays radio does suck. And XM radio ins't much better. There is pumping in the music and this very low level high pitch whine because of the compression. And, don't try to listen to classical because it sounds horrible when the music gets complex. They sould have put the D/A converter in the head unit and used the same method as the new digital FM receivers. There would have been no need for compression then.
try: www.widr.org you should be able to listen online. They play a wide mix of music which can be very bad to very very good. As I write this they are playing something french with piano and harmonica and bass and a lazy trombone just stepped in, part of their usual eclectic mix which keeps me listening with great pleasure.

Nothing like a college readio station that is always trying to find new music, it is almost the only thing I listen to.

good luck

Phil
Corporate radio of today is absolutely terrible. Besides satelite radio(which I'm not really familiar with) one must stick with public radio and college stations. College radio is now and always has been the only real breath of fresh air on the airwaves.These stations have always been my main source for mew music and artists that would never, never be heard on big radio. Cheers, Lee
Yes, they do suck. There is very limited dynamic range on most stations these days. Most pop recordings in the first place are poorly recorded with limited dynamic range. Everything just sounds LOUD.
Rockinroni, yes, they s---. But I wonder if it's radio itself or the listener. I find, with age, one simply becomes more discriminating. So when one looks, a lot more appears to blow now than ever before. Perhaps the personal age of innocence has an expiry date. Of course once one knows where one's preferences lie, one looks less elsewhere, and when one does, then with... benign ambivalence(?).

Slightly off-topic, but sometime ago I looked for some web radio stations to see what the hype was about. For classical I found a few were sometimes ok (kuni, wpr, wgbh, kccu, kosu, ksui,cbc r2, bbc r3). Most, I notice are college efforts. In the brief aside, I used this list, perhaps a usable site for finding interesting (web) radio for rock too. As bandwidth increases, one may hope that good stns in all areas will emerge with decent quality. For now, w/o question (since I don't have a tuner anyways), it's still LPs and CDs for me.