Who's Your Favorite Bass Players; Why?

I like Paul Chambers for his groove and arco. Sam Jones for his Time. Rufus Reid becaues he taught me. Jaco because of the absolute passion. Christian McBride because he's the MAN righ now--and he's the director of the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific, which is my Alma Mater; Ron Carter because of everything he's recorded; George Maraz because of his soul; Richard Davis because of his intensiity; Reggie Workman due to his authenticity; Lonnie Plaxico because of his work with he Jazz Messengers; Scott LaFaro--BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST! (Eddie Gomez and Chuck Isreal are cool, too!). Who're you 'un?
crazy4blues
When it comes to choosing the "best" bass player, well, there is no better time where the phrase "to each his own" is applicable. I am a thirtysomething funkateer, which means my taste may differ a bit that that of a "student" of the instrument. Sure, Jaco, Stanley, Entwistle and Victor (and some other rockers I may have forgot to mention) are the absolute ELITE of their trade; however, there are cats who IIII grew up listening to who put the "UN in between the "F" and the "K" when it came to getting FUNKY....I will list MY favorite FUNK bassists (duh, what else was the instrument created for besides having someone watch or listen to a funky ass bass line with that "PEEE EEEWWW!!!! SOMETHIN' STANKS UP IN HERE!!!!" look on their face? And I DON'T mean just "slappin' and poppin'!!!!)

5. Louis Johnson (The bassist for The Brothers Johnson with a 10" thumb!!!!)
4. Mark Adams (of the 70's superfunkyass group SLAVE and the trademark finger slide on that Jazz Bass)
3. James Jamerson (Of Mowtown fame NO ONE has EVER approached the instrument the way he did!!!!)
2. Larry Graham (The Father)
1. Mr. William BOOTSY Collins (The Son, Innovator, multidimentional Funkateer...The SpaceBassed/Mutron sound remains second to none!)

Oh, that was the top five...The funkiest EVER, EVER, EVER...EV-ER...

Mr. Prince Rogers Nelson....THE Holy Spirit of FUNK.

Yep, PRINCE....This guy has his own style of funkyface creating licks...Let's Work? 777 9311? Kiss (extended version)? Alphabet Street? Face Down (live version)? What's My Name? Joint 2 Joint (solo part)? Sexy Dancer (extended with the solo)? 2 Niggs United 4 West Compton (solo part)? DMSR? What do you want me to do, girl? Irresistable Bitch? Crystal Ball (solo)? Lady Cab Driver???? Last Heart? When playing bass, Prince combines a smooth, funky, rhythmic and soulful approach with the most valued instrument throughout the composition of a song: SPACE. Without the use of overbearing or tone-shaping effect pedals, time after time, he makes my nose cringe, head bob, feet tap and spine tingle with each magical note he funkilly creates. I was sure when I listened to his albums and CD's; I was POSITIVE when I slept outside in 18 degree weather with my brother, had front row seats to one of his concerts and he picked up his axe, walked toward me and started doing his thing right above me with a big grin on his face as I bowed to him with my hands gripping his high heels (that was back in '99 and I STILL haven't washed them yet!!!!) (-;
Listen to Prince's "I HATE YOU", you also realized he's the most talented lyricist besides the most talented multi-instrumentalist.

Louis Johnson also started another group called "Passage", and came out with only one album. Starting bid for my excellent condition album will be $10K because you can't even Google it :)

Talking about "GROOVE", I got 2 more bassists to name: Tower of Power's bassist and Etiene Mbappe on few of Nguyen Le's CDs.
Mark King- Level 42 Cause he's a groove monster and plays intricate bass lines while singing lead. He's so funky. What a soloist

Tom kennedy-Dave Weckl Band- wow!

Victor Wooten- funky and humble

Francis Rocco Prestia- Tower of Power- King of the 16th note groove!

Scott Ambush- Spyro Gyra- Awesome seasoned player!

Spencer Campbell- Judson Spence debut CD- Love this guy! Anyone know what other albums he's on? Very Tasty

Many more but those are off the top of my head
God.....doesn't anybody get it.....Bill Wyman, Paul Samwell-Smith, Jack Bruce or John Bonham.... egads.. doesn't anybody get it.....????? What a laugh......
then again I am drunker than shit...listening to the greatest C&W BAND.....notice not singer...that would be Hank Williams,Sr...not that numbn*ts Jr.....but the Rolling Stones...Sweet Virgina...the greatest C&W song since Honky Tonk Blues
I vote for Mike Anthony (Van Halen)+ Prince, these guys can really groove!