Here, there a Chick, Where else a Chick Corea ?

I am a big 40-60's jazz fan. Never got a big kick out of fusion, but always keep an open mind. Cleaned up an old, though rarely played Maxell Jazz Sampler LP that has the Chick Corea cut "The Golden Dawn", which I find most enjoyable!! I subsequently saw in a second-hand store a mint copy of "Again and Again: The Joburg Sessions" on the Elektra Musician label so I gave it a try. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT LP in content AND sonics. Blew me right away.

Anyone out there familiar with this LP that can give suggestions as to other Corea LP's which are equally enjoyable?
4yanx
I decided to drop in to the local Rasputins on the way to a meeting and, viola, TWO used copies of Mad Hatter, both of which I snapped up. Look forward to a cleaning (well I won't look forward to that), then a good session of listening this evening!!!!!!! I also found the Romantic Warrior which was stuck out of place among other records. Not a great copy but, for $1.98, good enough for a listen.

BTW, anyone else out there just HAVE to drop in a record store when you SHOULD be doing something else. Suppose that is a rhetorical question......
Kjg, "Mad Hatter" album is available on CD but it's probably out of print. If you have a turntable why bother? The vinyl is much better sonically. Also I recommend to research on works with Gary Burton. Some of them made on Concord jazz which is an A+ label.
Don't forget the original 1972 ECM album "Return to Forever", which is far less fusion-oriented. RTF evolved into the band's name with increasing emphasis toward fusion. I was fortunate to see Corea, Clarke, White, Farrell and DeMiola when they did their RTF tour in the 70's and bought (and still have!!) the box set of the live recording. Corea also sits in with DeMeola on a few of Al's records from the late 70's and into the 80's.

Also check out "Crystal Silence"- primarily a duet between Burton and Corea. Corea gets closer to his roots again a little later with "Akoustic Band".

Virtually all of Corea's stuff is wonderfully inventive and creative.

Jim
Thanks for the suggestions. Scott can ALWAYS be counted on for good choices and I will explore those of others, too.

Speaking of Gary Burton, I found his album "Throb" at a garage sale and it, too, is excellent. I understand it is hard to find, though.
From the Chick Corea website:

The tour you've been waiting for is finally coming to a town near you!

Chick reunites with John Patitucci (bass), Dave Weckl (drums), Eric Marienthal (sax), and Frank Gambale (guitar) for the first time in 10 years to present both original CCEB repertoire as well as new compositions Chick created for the later version of the band and now rendered by the original fab five genius musicians (Jimmy Earl joins on bass after October 19th).

Chick, John, Dave, Eric, Frank and Jimmy are pumped and totally excited about playing to their audiences once again. Since the group's creative beginnings each member of the band has gone on to win more and more musical territory with all of them now bringing their collective experience and creative energy back into focus around Chick's music and under his leadership. (The band's first onstage reunion at the Hollywood Bowl this August literally blew the roof off the place!)

But, hurry up -- tickets are selling REAL fast!

"CHICK COREA ELEKTRIC BAND" REUNION TOUR

October 2002
12 - Tarrytown Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY
13 - 9:30 Club, Washington, DC
16 - Chick & John Only - New York City - with Roy Haynes
at Lincoln Center
17 - Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
19 - Clearwater Jazz Festival, Clearwater, FL
22 - Eleven 50 Theater, Atlanta, GA
23 - Carefree Theater, West Palm Beach, FL
24 - House of Blues, Orlando, FL
26 - Blue Note Club, New York, NY