What music is not derivative?

I was just reading up on some older posts about peoples opinions of some new bands. There are often times people complaining about music being so derivative and unoriginal. My question is what music released in the post Beatles era has been truly original?

I have a few ideas in mind, but will let y'all have the first shot at it.
jposs
I think it's all basically derivative, but that doesn't deter my enjoyment one bit. I think there are more excellent practitioners today than any time before, and I enjoy what they produce despite it being derivative.

As with many terms we use, derivative can by used as a descriptor or as an (implied) insult.

I'd be curious to look back in 100 or 200 years and see if history sees the Beatles and/or the 60's as being non-derivative.
I think Kthomas is right. The Beatles weren't even that original. Lots of groups did the same things, they got the recognition. It's all in the marketing. I get the feeling most of the best and original music will never be recorded or heard by the public at large. Most people don't like or want change.
As long as people are using the same instruments they will be making the same basic music. How many variations can there be to one theme? This is one of the reasons I prefer music that incorporates instruments not typically associated with that genre.
We could certainly stand some originality in music today. There are too many Eminems to every Mozart!!!
One can be derivative yet original. Early Chicago is clearly rock/jazz, but the complexities of orchestrations and arrangements were highly original, but vey derivative.

Agreed that early Beatles weren't original (straight forward rock-n-roll), but several of their later works after they went "studio band", like Sgt Pepper's and the White Album left nearly everyone in the music biz with jaws dropped. Another of the more well-known groups that were extremely original was Yes, especially with Rick Wakeman on board.

Jim
I tend to agree with Kthomas and Nrchy music by it's very nature is derivative-no disrespect to those who mentioned Radiohead and Sigur Ros both bands I like but neither are really original at all in the wider sense.
To confuse the discussion every artist is to some extent original,the great bands,the innovators,tend to take the past,add something of themselves and sometimes capture something of the spirit of the times (the Zeitgeist as the Germans would say)they live in.
Ultimately who cares?
Enjoy what you enjoy.
Yes, Gentle Giant. Also my favorite punk band from back then was the Stranglers. If you listen through the noise; buried inside are real melodies and quite substantial music structure. Someone in that band must have gone to the Royal College of Music and studied counterpoint and composition.

Most pop music is basically in Sonata form.