Sibelius Symphonies

Please provide any suggested recording(s) of Sibelius Symphonies, especially No. 2, 5 and 7.

Thanks and Happy Listening.

Otto
yu11375
Here's my current favorites:

#2 (First Choice) - Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra (Available directly from the Cleveland Orchestra website)

#2 (Second Choice) - Barbirolli and the Royal Philharmonic (Chesky)

#5 (First Choice) - Vanska and Lahti on BIS (coupled with the Original first draft #5)

#5 (Second Choice) -Karajan and Philharmonia (Not Berlin) - EMI recording from 1953

#7 (First Choice) - Berglund and Helsinki Philharmonic on EMI (From his 2nd complete Sibelius Cycle)

#7 (Second Choice) - Ashkenazy and Philharmonic on London/Decca
for otto: out of curiosity i picked up sanderlings' #2 and 3. both are very good performances, i liked 3 a bit more than two but he keeps the pace up. i'm not fond of performances in which the conductor tries to make sibelius into a "romantic". very good recordings, especially at budget price (7.49 at alldirect.com). i'm going to get the rest.
I thoroughly agree with Greg: Sir John Barbirolli on EMI and Colin Davis on Phillips, especially the 2nd.
Newbee,

Finally I found the company with me on Sanderlings' performances. Try his recording of Symphony No. 5, it is very objective interpretation. Enjoy!

Otto
otto, you like strauss and sibelius, have your tried bantock? this is a composer from the british isles who should be heard, not your typical bucolic english music. he was a contempoary of both strauss and sibelius. his music was influenced by liszt and wagner. talk about a convergence of the planets! if you haven't, try hebridean symphony on hyperion label for starters. excuse the presumption.........