Why Doesn't Contemporary Jazz Get Any Respect?

I am a huge fan of Peter White,Kirk Whalum,Dave Koz,Warren Hill,etc.I have never understood why this flavor of music gets no respect.Not only is it musically appealing,but in most cases its very well recorded.Any comparisons to old jazz(Miles Davis etc.) are ludicrous.Its like comparing apples and oranges.Can anyone shed some light on this?Any contemporary(smooth)Jazz out there?I would love to hear from you. Thanks John
krelldog
Marakantz (how's the poetry coming): the Methany - Charlie Haden effort, under the Missouri Sky ,is listenable too, but somehow I do not like to think of it as "smooth jazz." Call me an elitist - Maybe I need a shrink. Where is Detlof when you need him.

What the hell is the Methany/Haden cd anyway? Marian McPartland has an advertisement for her show where she has 3 or 4 tunes play, all completely different, and she simply asks "is this jazz" after each tune. Very effective and makes a point. Me thinks we are not going to solve the issue here.

Sincerely, I remain
Clueless: Pat to me sounds smooth(that's how I feel listening to him) I can continue my list with Chick Corea, John Scoffield, Mike Stern etc... That's the jazz musicians that certainly have a jazz level of sophistication but on the other hand I do not need to concentrate my attention as deep as I did before when I first started to listen to them.
Believe it or not I can listen to Ornette Coleman to relax myself knowing all his colours and thoughts comming through his sax.
I can also listen to CD101.9 "SMOOTH JAZZ" NY radio station but there will be no trace in my memory of any piece played -- just simply not interesting.
I've been reading this thread for several days now and i still have no idea what "smooth jazz" is or is supposed to be. If it's Kenny G, I don't like him. If it includes ECM artists, Pat Metheny, Bill Frisell, Mike Scofield, I do like them all very much and thought they were contemporary jazz. In fact, I have been proud of myself that I've expanded my love of jazz from just the classic jazz of the 50's and 60's that I began with and now am familiar with and excited by the music of some contemporary artists. Now I fear that they may be labelled "smooth jazz," which has a negative connotation. Like liking disco. Please, someone, summarize the posts recorded here and give me a conclusion: what is smooth jazz, and who is playing it?
Thank you.
ps I went to a local jazz club not too long ago and heard/saw Patricia Barber and her band, and they certainly seemed to me to be playing jazz. her voice wasn't a typical jazz singer's, like Ella or Sarah, but her delivery, syncopation, dynamic range, and emotion were certainly in line w/her very talented musicians. Wasn't this contemporary jazz? i could never call it pop.
Sc53, I fear that you are only one Lp short of neurosis. No one is going to come to a conclusion anytime soon. Personally, I think if you are on a journey down the ECM road that is very good indeed. Remember that the journey is where it is at and the conclusion is .... well... the end of the road.

Sincerely, I remain
Historically significant albums to contrast classical (bebop) jazz with contemporary (smooth) jazz. Bebop: Time Out by Dave Brubeck, Blue Trane by John Coltrane, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, Sunday at the Vanguard by Bill Evans, and Straight, No Chaser by Thelonius Monk. Smooth jazz: Breezin by George Benson, Duotones by Kenny G, The In Crowd by Ramsey Lewis, A Day in the Life by Wes Montgomery, and Mister Magic by Grover Washington, Jr.