Best solid state pre-amp below US $ 10.000,00 ??

Any suggestions ?
frankpiet
Agoner´s - thanks for your comments so far. The remaining candidates on my list are Nagra PL-P and Aesthetix Janus. The latter one I haven´t heard todate but I´ll be able to do so next week. Since a few days I´ve a Nagra PL-P and a CAT SL-1 Ultimate MK II.3 (very latest version of the CAT) in my system. Both are very impressive units - both with a total different design philosophy - but both are used for A/B - comparisons at their factories (Aesthetix develops its gear with Ayre amps/cdp). Nagra is perfect except of its slight lean and dry sound. CAT is very musical but to mellow - I´ve just listened to a Boulder 1010 which perfectly suits all my needs - unfortunately to expensive.
Regarding the VAC Rainessance II - I´ll give it another try with different cables although the importer finishes distribution as many units returned with problems (reliability issues). So I´ll might have a chance to get one very cheap.. A very good unit as well was the Lamm LL2 - but just in the dealers showroom. At my place it turned out to be a total underperformer - probably a mismatch to my components..
Regarding the AA - you can´t pass by the built in volume control. Next week the importer comes to my place to exchange the control board and the volume control with a heavily modified board/volume pot. Let´s see if the AA then really sings..
Guido-

I'm sorry, I can't say that I have heard any of the Phi series, so I can't compare them for you.

I think alot of the 'Renaissance confusion' comes from the way VAC describes the different models on their website, and how they relate them to the other VAC series that existed at the time of the writing.

That's why I called Brent... he and Kevin have always told me that the Ren 1 and 2 do not differ significantly in sonic character. Brent reconfirmed today that still applies. There is, however, a volume control upgrade they developed recently for the Ren mk1 that apparently improves linearity and low-volume frequency response. I may send mine in for that upgrade if it's not too expensive.

Bottom-line on the Renaissance pre:
- it is stable with any amp that has a 10k-200k ohm input impedance (which means basically ALL amps currently available, and that's a very conservative range according to KevinH)
- it uses a transformer-coupled output (so there's no loss of dynamics with any known amp load, and reduced noise)
- it puts out almost NO heat (there's not even vent holes needed in the chassis at all, so you can place it almost anywhere that a CD player can go!)
- it uses a balanced, no-feedback design with true balanced inputs AND outputs
- the remote control circuitry does not affect the sonic performance or interfere with the audio circuit
- the build quality is exceptional IMHO (3/8" thick aluminum fascia, high-gloss black lacquer, liberal use of sound deadening material, 1/4" thick CNC-machined aluminum chassis)
- VAC's customer service reputation is well-deserved, and is among the best in the biz

There are many superb preamps out there in the price range that this thread is concerned with. I am certainly not calling the VAC the "BEST" available, but it should definitely be considered as ONE of the best, and worthy of an audition.
Frank - I know what you mean about the Nagra, but i think its simply more 'neutral', not imparting much bloom, so if your ear, system, power system, room etc, need a some warmth, the Nagra is not the one. I think the 6922's, power cord and line conditioning are key on that puppy....

I also understand ow much of our choices are serendipitous. I never ever, ever even thought about Nagra, but a local dealer insisted I audition his demo (read good price) ince i told him i mostly cared about transparency and neutrality, and the rest is history. Who knows, if there had been a local VAC dealer, i might be raving about its presence, decay and what not...
Artg: the only real contender is the new Brinkmann Marconi -but it´s unfortunately a line stage only. Audible superior to the Nagra/ Brinkmann is the Boulder 1010 - but at an out-of-range price-point - at least in Germany.

Next week I´ll be able to audition the Marconi for two days in my system together with a PL-L. As I´m now used to the CAT and PL-P sound I´m looking foreward to hear that comparison. At my dealer both units were on paar and superior to the CAT.
Still can´t get hold of any Aesthetix Saturn stuff in Germany.