Best solid state pre-amp below US $ 10.000,00 ??

Any suggestions ?
frankpiet

Showing 2 responses by bhouser

Guidocorona -

For what it's worth, I own a VAC Renaissance Mark One, purchased directly from Kevin Hayes of VAC. Also, I just spoke with Brent @ VAC to reconfirm what Kevin told me at the time I bought mine.

There is NO - as in Zero - tangible sonic differences between the two versions of this model - only cosmetic and convenience features, such as the ability to activate the Cinema ByPass via the remote, a different volume control, a more simple front panel, a 12-v trigger and more indicator LED's. The sonic characteristics, audio circuitry & design itself are virtually identical.

However, if you are referring to the $13k, 2-chassis Renaissance SIGNATURE Mark 1 & 2 models, then yes, they are very different animals compared to the 'standard' Ren and to each other. In fact, the Sig 1 definitely has a limited range of amps that it will work well with, due to its extremely high output gain (something like 33db).

Kevin even advised that I NOT buy a Sig 1 since I intended to use it with the hi-gain Pass X-series amp that I had at the time - it would not mate well with it. The Sig 2 is indeed a pared-down Phi preamp that works with a far greater range of amps, due to the totally different & unique circuit design, but it was out of my price range.

As for build quality, maybe Frank saw a Standard Pre instead of a Ren?? They have very different construction, at least in the visible fit n' finish compared to the Ren models. I have some pics of my Ren (including the internals) that I would be happy to email if you question the construction, which I found to be FAR above average IMHO.

My Ren Mark I, which superceded a Placette Active Linestage, Pass X2.5 and a PSE HL-1 Hybrid Tube Linestage, has shown NO softness that I can identify. In fact, it proved to be MORE dynamic then even the solid-state Pass X2.5, while providing that 'tube magic' thing that makes it all worthwhile.

Having said all this, I agree that the Retail price of both the Ren and Ren Sig are way-high. But, at their current used prices, they are terrific value.
Guido-

I'm sorry, I can't say that I have heard any of the Phi series, so I can't compare them for you.

I think alot of the 'Renaissance confusion' comes from the way VAC describes the different models on their website, and how they relate them to the other VAC series that existed at the time of the writing.

That's why I called Brent... he and Kevin have always told me that the Ren 1 and 2 do not differ significantly in sonic character. Brent reconfirmed today that still applies. There is, however, a volume control upgrade they developed recently for the Ren mk1 that apparently improves linearity and low-volume frequency response. I may send mine in for that upgrade if it's not too expensive.

Bottom-line on the Renaissance pre:
- it is stable with any amp that has a 10k-200k ohm input impedance (which means basically ALL amps currently available, and that's a very conservative range according to KevinH)
- it uses a transformer-coupled output (so there's no loss of dynamics with any known amp load, and reduced noise)
- it puts out almost NO heat (there's not even vent holes needed in the chassis at all, so you can place it almost anywhere that a CD player can go!)
- it uses a balanced, no-feedback design with true balanced inputs AND outputs
- the remote control circuitry does not affect the sonic performance or interfere with the audio circuit
- the build quality is exceptional IMHO (3/8" thick aluminum fascia, high-gloss black lacquer, liberal use of sound deadening material, 1/4" thick CNC-machined aluminum chassis)
- VAC's customer service reputation is well-deserved, and is among the best in the biz

There are many superb preamps out there in the price range that this thread is concerned with. I am certainly not calling the VAC the "BEST" available, but it should definitely be considered as ONE of the best, and worthy of an audition.