Best solid state pre-amp below US $ 10.000,00 ??

Any suggestions ?
frankpiet
Post removed 
Guidocorona -

For what it's worth, I own a VAC Renaissance Mark One, purchased directly from Kevin Hayes of VAC. Also, I just spoke with Brent @ VAC to reconfirm what Kevin told me at the time I bought mine.

There is NO - as in Zero - tangible sonic differences between the two versions of this model - only cosmetic and convenience features, such as the ability to activate the Cinema ByPass via the remote, a different volume control, a more simple front panel, a 12-v trigger and more indicator LED's. The sonic characteristics, audio circuitry & design itself are virtually identical.

However, if you are referring to the $13k, 2-chassis Renaissance SIGNATURE Mark 1 & 2 models, then yes, they are very different animals compared to the 'standard' Ren and to each other. In fact, the Sig 1 definitely has a limited range of amps that it will work well with, due to its extremely high output gain (something like 33db).

Kevin even advised that I NOT buy a Sig 1 since I intended to use it with the hi-gain Pass X-series amp that I had at the time - it would not mate well with it. The Sig 2 is indeed a pared-down Phi preamp that works with a far greater range of amps, due to the totally different & unique circuit design, but it was out of my price range.

As for build quality, maybe Frank saw a Standard Pre instead of a Ren?? They have very different construction, at least in the visible fit n' finish compared to the Ren models. I have some pics of my Ren (including the internals) that I would be happy to email if you question the construction, which I found to be FAR above average IMHO.

My Ren Mark I, which superceded a Placette Active Linestage, Pass X2.5 and a PSE HL-1 Hybrid Tube Linestage, has shown NO softness that I can identify. In fact, it proved to be MORE dynamic then even the solid-state Pass X2.5, while providing that 'tube magic' thing that makes it all worthwhile.

Having said all this, I agree that the Retail price of both the Ren and Ren Sig are way-high. But, at their current used prices, they are terrific value.
Grant - EXACTLY. Unforunately the analog output stage of the AA can not be bypassed completely (the way it can be on a Levinson 390S - I used to have one of these too), but when running a preamp, they (AA) advise its best to set the volume to "-7dB", and to my ear (as well as many others I corresponded with), it breaks down * SOME * once you get away from that setting.

The fact that the built-in preamp in the AA does not compare to several preamps retailing for $10K does not mean it's a failure, really - its a matter of degree. I guess it's not fair expect the built in preamp on that unit to compete with the very best stand alone preamps. FWIW, i also thought my Levinson 390S sounded best with a "high quality" (in my case a $8700 Ayre K-1x) preamp than direct.

I've never hraed it, but it sounds like the EMM preamp is very good, so it might sound better without a preamp - but see here - where some thought it did sound better with an excellent preamp.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1119833619
Bhouser, I thought the VAC Ren 1 was derived from the Ren Sig design, while the Ren 2 was derived from the Phi.
If both VAC Ren 1 and 2 are derived from the Phi, I stand corrected.
Have you had an opportunity to listen to the Phi at all? If so, what were your impressions/findings?
Agoner´s - thanks for your comments so far. The remaining candidates on my list are Nagra PL-P and Aesthetix Janus. The latter one I haven´t heard todate but I´ll be able to do so next week. Since a few days I´ve a Nagra PL-P and a CAT SL-1 Ultimate MK II.3 (very latest version of the CAT) in my system. Both are very impressive units - both with a total different design philosophy - but both are used for A/B - comparisons at their factories (Aesthetix develops its gear with Ayre amps/cdp). Nagra is perfect except of its slight lean and dry sound. CAT is very musical but to mellow - I´ve just listened to a Boulder 1010 which perfectly suits all my needs - unfortunately to expensive.
Regarding the VAC Rainessance II - I´ll give it another try with different cables although the importer finishes distribution as many units returned with problems (reliability issues). So I´ll might have a chance to get one very cheap.. A very good unit as well was the Lamm LL2 - but just in the dealers showroom. At my place it turned out to be a total underperformer - probably a mismatch to my components..
Regarding the AA - you can´t pass by the built in volume control. Next week the importer comes to my place to exchange the control board and the volume control with a heavily modified board/volume pot. Let´s see if the AA then really sings..