VAC PHI 2.0 or CTC Blowtorch or...

If anyone has heard these two preamps in the same system; please let me know your thoughts.
exlibris
Exlibris: I have two customers who have owned Blowtorch preamps and both prefer the DCC 2. They felt it has greater transparency and has a much more open sound. The VAC is definitely a totally different sound than either as described by Raquel.

I have heard both as well and will keep my comments to myself unless you would like to email me privately.
Exlibris. I think I have a solution for you If you want more density and weight. Replace the Philips with the CDSD. The Philips works well with the EMM dacs but are a little thin sounding. I've had two EMM/Philips repaired and modded by APL HiFi and the mods did just that. Added more weight without losing any detail. Instead of spending your money on an expensive preamp, I think you would be better off up grading your transport to the CDSD. If you can't afford the CDSD you might consider having APL HiFi installing the EMM card from your Philips into a Denon 3910. Included also is his r core power supply, APL master clock and other mods.
I'm currently breaking in the first one and can tell you that it's better than the EMM/Philips. Also better than the EMM/Philips with mods. I will try to post a short review on the APL/EMM/Denon this weekend.
Also be aware that the CDSD that started shipping in April is a second generation model that is even better than the first generation.
I currently own the DCC 2 and have owned the DAC 6e and switchman III in the past.
Frank
Frankg,
I think your suggestion is excellent. I had no idea that there was a "2nd gen" CDSD. If one were looking to buy a used one, how would one differentiate a second generation unit from an original CDSD?
Thanks
EMM is not using the term second generation as far as I know. I used it because there were changes. I don't want to get anyone mad at me but I will say this. Production of the CDSD stopped toward the end of last year and didn't resume until the end of April or sometime in may. (units shipped that is). This lull in production was due to the changes. There was going to be a faceplate change but I don't think that happened. At this time I don't know how to tell the difference other than the date of manufacture.

Unless the 2 problem chips in your Philips were replaced by Alex Peychev it's days are numbered. It only makes since to replace the Philips first before spending money on another pre amp. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.