correct way to turn off tube preamp

I recently purchased a tube preamp. My other equipment is SS which I leave on 24/7. From what I have read I don't want to leave the pre on all the time. When done listening is it ok to put the amp in standby mode, then turn off the pre?,, or should I turn off the pre--leaving the amp on and then going to standby mode on the amp. When I do the latter I get a very samll 'thump' heard through the speakers. Thank you.
classical1
Chuck when not listening I have the amp in standby mode and have the tube pre turned off. I have a Naim CD and flat cap..Naim advised best results leaving it on. The Naim gear is very cool in idle. As a sidebar to all of this, I was always leary of tube gear. After 30 years of buying audio equipment I bought a deHavilland UltraVerve. Its the first tube preamp I've owned so I can't compare it to other tube equipment, but I can say it has made more of an improvement to my system than any other piece of equipment I've ever bought. I was not prepared for how nice a tube pre can match with a SS amp--I can't ever see going back. I hope to now go to a new SS amp (looking at Gamut, Pass .5 or Blue Circle) My monitors-Focus Audio FS688 are 85db, so I want to stay with a SS amp. Thank you again for your responses.
Classical1, Not to stir the pot, but I can't resist piling on your 'new' discovery of the benefits of a tube pre amp (with which I totally agree!). Wait til you hear a tube amp.......:-)
Classical1

I also use a tubed pre CJ premier 16II with a ss amp CJ premier 350 and really enjoy the results. Excellent dynamics and control with much of the mid range benefits of a tube amp. Newbee has a point though tube amps are a beautiful thing once you get past the heat and maintenance issues.

Chuck
I switched on my amp from standby mode before my pre which is automatically muted for the 1st 60 seconds for the tubes to warm up. On powering down, I switched off the amp to standby mode and then the pre. So far, no noise,thump or pop.....
I'm on the lower end but am also incredibly pleased with my Wright Sound WLA12A and my modded Hafler DH-200. I leave the Hafler, my tuner, and my CD player on 24/7, and none generate any significant heat, nor do they draw very much power at idle. They are way more stable being left on all the time. The Wright Sound, however, gets turned off after every listening session. Since it's tube rectified, the turn on and off is very soft, and causes no thump or other noise in the system, even if I forget to mute. In this regard, it's way easier on my system than any of my SS preamps, and sounds great to boot!