Antique Sound Lab Hurricane Problem

I just picked up a used pair of these and was as happy as a clam, because these sound really fabulous.

Until the amp blew a tube (V3) and that socket is now dead. Has anyone experienced this very upsetting behavior from this amp ? Is this a common problem and does it have an easy fix ? Or is the amp just really temperamental and needs lots of tips to the factory ?

The filament lights up, but there is no blue halo and the tube doesn't get hot. Meter reads "1" for that socket irrespective of what tube I use there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love these amps but can't afford to own an amp that is not reliable.
dimitry
Welcome to the "love - hate" relationship that many experience with the Hurricanes! Actually sounds like you have a blown resistor at that tube socket (this happened to me as well...)

Should be a fairly easy fix by a reputable tech. You should have him check as many solder joints as possible for bad "cold solder" connections.

Yep, the early production runs of the "canes" were problamatic and forced many (myself included) to sell off & move on -- despite the outstanding sonics.

Here's hoping you have better luck after this fix.
Thanks. I am taking the amp back to the hifi shop where it was on consignment to hopefully fix the blown resistors, if that's all it is. The other amp is fine, and I am falling in love with the sound. This pair has caps modified to Multicaps with silver wiring. It does indeed sound fabulous. I offered $2.5K for them, which seems like a good price for healthy units. I will mention the "cold solder" issue to them.

Regards,
Denf..is correct. Lots of problems with early models. I have an early model also (the HP version)..LUCKLY mine are working GREAT!!! Keep the fingers crossed.

P.S. They sound fabulous!