Audio Research LS-15 Infincaps

I own ARC LS-15 pre-amp. Mine has REL caps. Later in production they equipped their LS-15 pre-amps with infinicaps. Has anyone compare the LS-15 with REL caps to the one with Infinicaps? If so, what are the advantages in sound of this pre-amp with infincaps vs the REL caps. I am thinking of sending my pre-amp to ARC for upgrade to infincaps. The price ARC charges is not a killer, but it's still few hundred bucks. Is it really worth it? Thanks in advance.
128x128audphile1
Thanks gents! I do like my LS-15 a lot, have it for long time and I am the original owner. I just heard that infincaps take this already fine sounding pre-amp a little further up sonically. That's the reason I was looking into upgrading it with infincaps. I will send it out for an upgrade now for sure. It doesn't cost that much and besides, I have no plans to sell it in a near future. I like its open sound and good soundstaging, imaging and overall reliability. Thanks again, but keep it coming if anyone has other suggestions for LS-15 upgrades.
I had the LS15 with Infinicaps for several years and loved it. But with the right tubes it really took the unit to a whole different level. If you havent rolled some tubes I would add that to your list. Some of my favorite tubes were the Amprex BB, Amprex A frame, and if I had it now I would try the Ei 6dj8.

Mark
Agree...those sovtek 6922 tubes that come with the LS-15 are not worth the effort. I did replace them with nos Amperex EC88 it is much smoother now. what is ei 6dj8? what brand is that?
I've been a cap fan for years,sustituting this cap for that in previous ARC Preamps.In general terms Rel Caps put out a nice midband reproduction,and image fairly well.Infinicaps
has this high freq. extension in air,which lead to a much broader and wider soundstaging of the device utilized in.
I personally own a ARC VT-60 Lenord told me it could be upgraded with Infinicaps as well.I may go that route myself.I could install my own caps,But ARC does other things to my amp I'm not familiar with and of course they would guarantee their work.Lenord did advise me in my situation with infinicaps expect more bass inpact and better high freq. extension which did not surprise me for him to say that based on my previous experiences with caps.
Audiophile 1,I and a pal had/have Audio Research SP-15 pre-amps,with built in phono.Not long ago both of us sent our units to Great Northern Sound for a major upgrade.I had previously,happily,owned the Sp-10,and Sp-11,however I liked the idea of the Sp-15's 3 tube phono section,as this afforded me the chance to tube roll(huge advantage)without robbing a bank.

Great Northern Sound(a great modder,BTW,though there's nothing wrong with using Audio Research,obviously)gave me a few differing,voicing options,Infinicaps,MIT's etc.I chose the infinicaps for my phono stage,as this was apparently going to give a more open and less grainy sound to my unit.The power supply,as I remember, had "Elna caps and A few Black Gate caps",as well.Not shabby,though my friend opted to spend an additional 600 bucks and go full Black Gate,in the power supply.I don't hear the diff,and we have almost identical equipment.

To make a long story short,if you like your unit,as I liked mine,resist the never ending push to sell your stuff.Other options are available,as in the Audio Research update,you mention.

With regards to the Infinicap update,both I and my pal are THRILLED with the improvement,across the board.Detail,resolution,and superb frequency extremes.I always have a good laugh,now,when I see the latest industry "push" to move to the supposed super(pricewise)units.It is just NOT the "big deal" that these megabuck units claim to be,as compared to a thoughtful,thinking hobbyist,that you seem to be.

I have another friend with the CJ "ART" unit.Sounds absolutely great.When I take my reference material over to his home I do not feel like I'm giving away anything,and I know I'm not rationalizing.Listen to your own intuitive perspective,and you'll not go astray.Good luck!!