Audio Research LS-15 Infincaps

I own ARC LS-15 pre-amp. Mine has REL caps. Later in production they equipped their LS-15 pre-amps with infinicaps. Has anyone compare the LS-15 with REL caps to the one with Infinicaps? If so, what are the advantages in sound of this pre-amp with infincaps vs the REL caps. I am thinking of sending my pre-amp to ARC for upgrade to infincaps. The price ARC charges is not a killer, but it's still few hundred bucks. Is it really worth it? Thanks in advance.
128x128audphile1

Showing 1 response by sirspeedy70680e509

Audiophile 1,I and a pal had/have Audio Research SP-15 pre-amps,with built in phono.Not long ago both of us sent our units to Great Northern Sound for a major upgrade.I had previously,happily,owned the Sp-10,and Sp-11,however I liked the idea of the Sp-15's 3 tube phono section,as this afforded me the chance to tube roll(huge advantage)without robbing a bank.

Great Northern Sound(a great modder,BTW,though there's nothing wrong with using Audio Research,obviously)gave me a few differing,voicing options,Infinicaps,MIT's etc.I chose the infinicaps for my phono stage,as this was apparently going to give a more open and less grainy sound to my unit.The power supply,as I remember, had "Elna caps and A few Black Gate caps",as well.Not shabby,though my friend opted to spend an additional 600 bucks and go full Black Gate,in the power supply.I don't hear the diff,and we have almost identical equipment.

To make a long story short,if you like your unit,as I liked mine,resist the never ending push to sell your stuff.Other options are available,as in the Audio Research update,you mention.

With regards to the Infinicap update,both I and my pal are THRILLED with the improvement,across the board.Detail,resolution,and superb frequency extremes.I always have a good laugh,now,when I see the latest industry "push" to move to the supposed super(pricewise)units.It is just NOT the "big deal" that these megabuck units claim to be,as compared to a thoughtful,thinking hobbyist,that you seem to be.

I have another friend with the CJ "ART" unit.Sounds absolutely great.When I take my reference material over to his home I do not feel like I'm giving away anything,and I know I'm not rationalizing.Listen to your own intuitive perspective,and you'll not go astray.Good luck!!