Cary CAD-572SE MK2

I have Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Grands, with a BAT VK-31SE pre. I am in the process of purchasing this Cary SET amp. Am I going to have a problem with synergy? I have never owned a tubed power amp, just pre-amps. It will be replacing a BAT VK-200, so it seems like it's going to be a huge drop in power. I called Cary today to check on whether or not this amp would drive my speakers and in the middle of the conversation, I realized I was talking to Dennis Had(DAMN!) Anyway Dennis said that it would drive my speakers with ease.
I guess I just want some reinforcement from other Gon'ers that, I am not screwing up too much.
jdodmead
Well, after reading your comments, I'm not feeling super about what I have done, but we'll see what happens. I am meeting the seller in a couple of hours to complete the transaction and hopefully will get in a little listening yet tonight. I will post my thoughts(good or bad) tomorrow or Saturday. You may find them in the classifieds.(I hope
not)
Jeff
I have a pair of Verity Audio Fidelio's that I use with a Cary V12-R and a BAT VK50SE and it sounds as good as anything I have heard anywhere and better then most IMHO. I sold the BAT when I purchased a Audio Aero Capitole MK2 and decided it sounded better going direct. My Cary puts out 50wpc and does not lack the ability to get very loud! Although I listen at moderate levels most of the time, the detail, space and liquid sound can't be beat. Put that amp in your system and live with it for a while and let your ears be the judge--you may be suprised what a tube amp can really do!!
Itsalldark, your Verity's are also an 8 ohm load though.
That's a bit of an easier load for a tube amp, no?
So your more powerful tube amp sounds good while driving an easier load. I know SET amps sound good, but speaker matching is very important.

Jdodmead, if it doesn't sound good at first, maybe you could try a pair of Paul Speltz's Zero Autoformers.
They will allow your amps to 'see' a higher impedence load that may help.

Look here: Zero's

Regards,
John
I fired them up and listened for only an hour last night so these observations are preliminary. My pre has to be turned up to 110, where it used to be 65 to acheive the same listening level. I don't know how far it goes and if it is harder on the pre.
I can tell that I have lost some bass and I was expecting a little more airyness. This was only with a couple of cd's, I will try the tt when I get home today. So far,I am a little disappointed, but I am in no hurry to make any decisions(I may just fall in love with them over the week-end).
Maybe my expectations were too high in the first place.
Your BAT goes up to 140, I know, I've owned a 31SE and a 50SE. It shouldn't hurt the preamp to run the volume all the way up.
These amps are not the best mates for your speakers. It's not the amps fault or the speakers fault, it's just a mismatch. The Zero's may help, but I would think, in the end, you'll have to change either amp or speaker to a more compatible mate. Keep us posted.

Regards,
John
More to discover