Your First System

This should be good!!! Most of us have been in this expensive hobby for years now and have worked our way up to components we only dreamed of. I want to know what was your first system of separate components going back as far as you can remember. My first consisted of a Pioneer SX-680 receiver, a Technics SLD-1 turntable (I think that's the right model #), a Sharp tapedeck, and KLH floorstanding speakers. I was 16 at the time and thought I was the biggest badass on the block. Now, 20+ years later I have a ML 334, Meridian 507 CD, CJ PV10A, Canton Ergo 900 speakers, and a Transparent Power Isolator 4. I'm in the process of upgrading to a ML 390. It goes without saying the IC's and speaker cables are top notch as well. I know my system is WAAAYYYYY down the foodchain compared to what I've seen here but It would be interesting to see what everyone started out with.
pcook15
At 19 I purchased a 200w Carver 2000 receiver a Kenwood TT and cassette player and 2 pair of infinity speakers One pair were 3way with 12'woofers and the other were towers with a front and rear firing tweeter a front firing mid and 10'woofer and a down firing 10'woofer. Then an Awia Cdp once cds were introduced. I remember most about it is that was how I first built credit and been in debt ever since:). Still have them in storage.
Oh my, I remember it well. It was 1977 and I was 18 years old. I had a good job right out of high school and I had saved a huge sum of money right up to Christmas. I walked into a audio/video store and purchased a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp, a JVC JT-V71 tuner, a Pioneer CT-F8080 cassette deck, a Technics SL-1300MK2 turntable, and Technics SB-7000 speakers. It was a great sounding system. I wish I had more money for the Kenwood KA-9100 and the Kenwood KT-8300 tuner at the time, but I went away happy. I still have the amp and tuner. I wish I had kept all of it, but the upgrade bug bit and I purchased Mac equipment later on. I sold or traded the rest.
In 1978, my father bought me pioneer system. At least it came with saperate pre and power amp, cassette, turntable, tuner, and big speakers.

I thought it was the greatest thing ever - in my memory, I can't beat that sensation I had even with today's system for some reason - perhaps it's my age with a bit of hearing loss now, or my enthusiasm for new music back then.

I still have the amps and they still function !

I think buying all in one big system on craiglist for $100 is a good way to start on this exciting hobby - instead of getting a boombox for the price.
1973 - catalog ordered from some place in San Luis Obispo, CA - Dual 1218 tt, Pickering cartridge, Harman Kardon (530 ?)receiver, Infinity 1001 two way loudspeakers. First set of separates which replaced a Sony bookshelf system into which I inserted a pair of KLH 2 way monitors. Now that I think of it, the sale of my KLH speakers to make room for the Infinitys was my first sale of used gear. Its been a hilly ride ever since!
I guess my first real system was in 1977 or 78 and consisted of a Realistic STA-2000 receiver, a pair of Mach 1 speakers and a totally forgettable Rat Shack cassette player (although it was my first with Dolby). I soon added a Technics SL-1900 TT. Within a couple of years, the receiver and cassette deck were replaced with a Yamaha CA-810 & CT-810 combo and a Pioneer CTF-900.