Cary CAD-572SE MK2

I have Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Grands, with a BAT VK-31SE pre. I am in the process of purchasing this Cary SET amp. Am I going to have a problem with synergy? I have never owned a tubed power amp, just pre-amps. It will be replacing a BAT VK-200, so it seems like it's going to be a huge drop in power. I called Cary today to check on whether or not this amp would drive my speakers and in the middle of the conversation, I realized I was talking to Dennis Had(DAMN!) Anyway Dennis said that it would drive my speakers with ease.
I guess I just want some reinforcement from other Gon'ers that, I am not screwing up too much.
jdodmead
You let us know. I would tend to think that this would not be a good match, as SET amps don't like to see lower impedences like the Beethovens nominal 4 ohm load.
I haven't owned the Beethoven Grands, but I did own the older Beethovens, and I currently own the Strauss, they both have preferred powerful solid state amps in my experiences. Tube amps can sound rather weak in the bass on these speakers, even more powerful tube amps. I've heard 100 wpc tube amps sound weak in the knees with VA speakers. SET's with these speakers would be a real adventure. If your room is small enough, it just may work for you.
As for me, I'll stick with tubes in my preamp/phono preamp and cd player, with a solid state amp.

Good luck,
John
John, Cableplex
I cannot turn back at this point, so I will have to give it a try. I can always resell without much of a loss, if any. Although I am confused as to why Dennis would knowingly tell me something that in your eyes is not true. He had nothing to gain.
Thanks for your input
Jeff
More to discover