Our we Lazy?

I want to start this thread by clearly stating that the purpose of this question was not to fight or rehash the battle of tube vs. solidstate as one being ultimately superior or better than the other one.I hope that besides personnal taste and the different "flavors" listeners enjoy, along with system matching, there is agreement that in the last ten to fifteen years that reference tube and solidstate amps sound very much alike and more like real music. The days of euphonic warm or detailed but harsh-bright sonic signatures are gone when it comes to world class amps.When my audiofile friends and I discuss power amps we always come back to these questions;1}With the finest solidstate amps[Pass Labs,Rowland,Ayre,Edge,etc.]sounding so terrific, why put up with the hassle of re-tubing,getting the right tubes NOS etc.,and the expense of re-tubing on a on going basis?I guess one man's "tube rolling" for pleasure is another man's pain in the butt.2}The sound of a tube amp changes over time as the tubes age, why put up with this hassle when it can be avoided? We like the fact that a solidstate amp will preform at its optimial level everytime we listen to our systems. Please you all, these questions are sincere and not an attack on tube amps or their owners.As stated already the goal was not to fight over something that is obvious ,world class amps are world class amps regardless if there tube or solidstate! We have listened to wonderful sounding tube amps[VTL,LAMM,ARC,CJ,etc.]and thought they were great, however they offered no special virtues that would lead us to put up with what we regard as "hassles" compared with solidstate amps. We would love to hear from our fellow GON members regarding this topic and what has been your experience regarding this topic.Let's not fight but have FUN sharing our opinions and viewpionts on this topic. Remember we might just be "Lazy" audiofiles who rationalize our own position on this matter!
teajay
I've lived with both tubes and solid state gear. When I started to get back into the hobby this year, the choice of amplification didn't take much thought at all. Solid state was the way to go. I didn't want any potential maintenance headaches, I didn't want to deal with tube rolling, and i didn't want to have to replace an expensive set of tubes. I did a lot of listening, and the pure SS systems I heard all sounded like they were missing something. On the other hand, there were some things the SS systems did right that I found really enjoyable. The fact that the SS amps give me a lot more flexibility when it comes to speaker choice is just another bonus.

After a bit of listening, I came across the ideal solution. I heard the Lamm hybrids. All of the sudden, I had the things I like about tubes and the things I like about SS in one amp. I can deal with one tube per amp. I bought them, and ended up pairing them with an Audio Aero Capitole MKII, which uses a tubed output stage.

The hybrids have gotten me to the point where I don't feel the need to worry about amps at all, and since the Capitole is running direct, my preamp problem is solved. Unless my financial situation changes dramatically, the Lamms are here to stay. Given an unlimited budget though, I'd build a system around Audio Note Kegons. I guess in the end, when tubes are really done right, transistors just can't quite touch them.
Yes 1Markr I do agree with you, its also fun having
you.Yes, having tube front end,it makes a big diferrence.
Having the best of both world.I could tell you are
happy.Enjoy
Well Chadnliz, I guess you can now call me a "lazy audiophile". I added a pair of GamuT M-250 monos to the system, (yes SS!) and I'm amazed by the tonal purity, and three dimensionality they produce. These are truly a fine example of what solid state can be. They are as close to the Audio Notes as I've heard, and yes they are quiet and run cool! It's been fun comparing back and forth. Each has it's strengths, but both get to the heart of the music. I guess we can all be seduced by the dark side.
i think it is more of a phobia than laziness for avoiding tubes. in my opinion:

1. useful life of good tubes, with average use, ranges from 2 years to 10 years. i have even read of tubes lasting 20+ years.
2. tube rolling is similar to choosing cables, which can be more costly. but tubes usually make more impact. (sorry for side tracking)
3. solid state is like tube gear with permanent, super long lasting tubes, but without the extra flexibility to fine tune and match other gear.
4. plenty of excellent auto bias tube gear available
5. some class a solid state can get just as hot as tubes

so i strongly suggest choosing gear based on sonics, and not relegate the flexibility of tubes to hassles.
Ease of use vs performance has been with humans for a long time. Its still not a good excuse though. If the goal of this hobby is to get as close to the recorded sound as possible, then ease of use issues have to be tolerated in that quest, to some degree at least.

As reliable as the tubes I listen to are, fiddling is a non-issue. It simply not something I have to do. So I get the performance without any convenience issues. IMMV, but if the tube amp is properly built, this will always be the case.

I have yet to hear a transistor amp sound better, and the price/performance curves of the two technologies indicate that the same differences we discuss now will be discussed 2 generations from now.

The only thing that might change that would be the appearance of a new technology, which is not in the marketplace yet.

Conclusion: if you can't deal with tubes- don't. If you want performance like real music, tubes are the deal- so deal with it.