Joule vzn 80 or 100 for merlins?

I am most likely going to go for a joule amp to drive my merlins but was wondering if the vzn 80's are going to be enough if I listen to opera at some what loud volumes. What about the stargates and heavengates are they worth considering?
pedrillo
Good luck finding a used VZN of either persuassion. By the way, Bobby at Merlin only really recommends the "music box" version of the VZNs which is a particular type of cabinet. I had TSM-MXs which were very easy to drive by an Air Tight 300B amp in a small room but the VSMs are also an easy load - 89db with a very benign impedance and crossover load.

Nutella is completely right, the difference btw 80 & 100wts is negligible. You really should be fine with the VZN-80 unless you sit 20 ft away from the speakers.
Pedrillo,

The Joule OTL-based amps are a horrible match for the Merlins (especially the VZN 80). Not only that, but Jud and Marianne Barber are the worst when it comes to customer service.

Sigh. OK, all of the OTL amps from Joule-Electra are a fantastic match, and the customer service from the husband/wife team is impeccable. You see, I am in the market for a new amp to go with my Merlins and I do not want the competition!

80 watts from the VZN 80 is plenty of power for the VSM. After a lot of research, that is what I am on the lookout for. Just be aware that the newest version is a Mark V.

Good luck hunting!
I agree the VZN 80 is more than enough power with the VSM in most instances. The 100's may be preferable in a larger room but you don't give room dimensions. I had a VZN 80 in my 16X18/12X8 L shaped room with 10' ceilings, no problem at all. Dynamics may open up a bit more with the 100 monos but they will also introduce more heat output from 12 rather than 8 output tubes which is worth some consideration if living in a warm climate. These amps DO warm up a room.

The Joule is lovely with the Merlins, you couldn't want for more, especially with massed vocals and opera, the best I've heard the VSM for this type of music.
Just a note regarding power for the VSM. I'm going to be running my VSM-MMs (wich should arrive in the next couple of weeks) with 16 SET watts. After speaking with knowledgeable individuals with experience running the VSM with lower watts, I'm confident that they will sound great. The only issue being ultimate SPLs with the lower watts. This should not be a problem since generally I do not listen louder than 85db peaks and do most of my listening in the 75-80db range.

Hopefully I will be very happy with the results. I will report my findings when I get the speakers. I've seen many post that suggest you need 60,70, 80 or more watts for the VSM. I do not believe that is true. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.:-)

So, for people who are using lower watt amps and are considering the VSM, check them out. Give Merlin a call and talk to Bobby. He'll let you know if his speakers will work with your amplification. Happy listening.

Cheers