Sleeper preamps: $500 new/used

Looking for tube or solid state pre with very good phono stage...willing to go used and go with an older model if sound quality is superior...any models come to mind?
128x128phasecorrect
NAC 42, due to the DIN connectors, and required external power supply(SNAPS or Hi-Cap), the old Naim preamps are probably more difficult to use with other brands of amps. They don't have their own internal power supply, so you must have the outboard supply(or use a Naim amp).

Also the phono boards are known as "N"(MM) or "S"(MC) and are little cards you can swap out. If the preamp is listed as a NAC42S, then it has the "S" cards.

They would be the obvious choice if you plan to use an older Naim amp, like a NAP 250,160, or 110.

Phono section "S" has high overload margins, and handles low output MC cartridges.

I had a Naim NAC 42S with Hi-Cap supply for about 11 years, along with a Naim amp.
Not bad for SS, but my modded MFA Magus C murders it, IMO.
You know, the whole tubes vs SS thing.
Forte model 2. This pre gave me a shock when it left a Bryston BP25 way behind in almost every respect.

It has an excellent phono section. Used price for a nice unit is approx $300-450.

Excellent buy.
Mission 776

Listened to a lot of pre's, tube and SS, that cost as much as $6000 new and haven't found a better one yet.
Listen to Genesis168. He knows a great pre when he hears one. I've owned a Model 2 for ten years, teamed with Forte Model 4 amps for mids/highs and Adcom GFA555's on the subs. I searched for many, many years to find components that excelled and are available at reasonable prices. I have no reason what so ever to look any further. My quest was over ten years gone. I still visit the high-end shops just to hear what I'm NOT missing though.

Like any high-end components... the Forte line simply allows music to pass through unchanged. They are just about the most "musical" amps and preamps you can buy at any price and regardless of build date. They effortlessly reveal all the gorgeous detail without a trace of edginess. They possess that illusive sweetness without introducing a hint of mushiness. At $500 or LESS, they're one of the biggest bargains in the audio market today.

Nelson Pass' genius is timeless!!