High End Audio Dealers

I am sure this question has been asked many times before, but I am new to Audiogon. I am researching audion equipment. Unfortunately, I live in Birmingham, Alabama and the high end audio dealers are few. Most have converted to become custom AV installers. There are only a couple here and they handle a limited stock. How do you audition equipment if you have no local dealers that handle the manufacturers you are looking for? I guess I could drive 2 hours to Atlanta.
mcclungw
I think we're going to see a lot more home-based dealers in the future. The lower costs compared to having a store front helps them to stay competitive, and the lack of salesmen USUALLY helps keep the sleeze level down.

I'm not saying all home-based dealers are great, but the ones I've worked with certainly are.
Since you're considering integrateds, suggest you include tubed integrateds from VAC and Audiomat (see mfr's. sites for dealers). They are very well built, will drive most speakers with ease and, most importantly, are musical.

Good luck!
If I take the time, mine and the dealer, to audition a piece I am considering acquiring I will acquire it from said dealer. I have purchased enough goods, both product and service, over the years that I can ask for advice on used purchases and get it. I do not abuse this favour and only ask it of pricey items.

Dealers that do not have a large portion of their business revenue coming from service/upgrades are having a very rough time. People that can actually fix and modify things typically have more than enough work is my experience.
Ive had to many dealers ignore me or treat me rudely,ive given up on them,,,i will buy online,from now on,,seems like i get treated much better.