Audio Research Ref 3 Opinions

Anybody heard the new ARC Ref 3? Comments please !! in comparison to the ARC Ref 2 Mk2
soundoc
Hi all, Hi Guido! I missed this post, sorry!

Well, I've lived with the REF3 now for a while, and can only confirm what I initially sensed, it is a great linestage, detailed, open and rich.

If I were to find a weak point, it would only be the input gain (yes, I know I mentioned it before, but it didn´t stopped bugging me). This is not related to its performance though, more likely to my own tastes as user. I don´t like to increase the volume well above 50 to have some significant SPL out of the Martin Logans. So, I decided that I needed to use high output phono preamp and also add a high output DAC in between my CDP and the Ref3. Well, I bought a phono pre with enough output to drive the power amps (Aesthetix Rhea) if it only had volume control.
Gain is an incredible 75 dbs!
And, for the CDP I bought at first a Krell Stealth DAC, but this one didn´t really had the fire, so today arrived a Theta Probasic IIIa that a fellow A´goner sold to me last sunday and it did the trick. Now I really feel like the Ref3 sings!

What else can I say? That I think it will be hard for me to get a better rig for my system. I´m really really pleased with it.

brgds, Marcelo
Marcelo, 'bingo' on all counts! Detailed, open and certainly rich define the Ref 3 for me as well. And yes, gain seems a little low: with DCS P8I, REF 3, Rowland 302, Totem Manitoo, to get good sound pressure I had to raise the volume to 7. This may not be a problem though. If I recall correctly my Rowland 7M monoblock amps have a couple different gain settings.
Are you still using the Ref 3 with its original 6H30 tubes, or have you sent your unit to get the 6550C tubes and the bypass caps? Sonic differences?
Lastly, for me the 'fat lady has not sung yet!' I did A/B Ref 3 with the VAC Ren Signature II , however the real comparison will be against the much newer Ren II and Phi 2.0. Still lots of fun to go through!
Guido, I have not heard about the xchange tubes! What´s all about? 6550 seems a step backwards from the 6H30P? WHo's doing/offering the upgrade? AR? I'm checking right away.

Also, you mention that you had to raise the volume to 7. You mean 70 right? That´s about the max. I could do before the Theta arrived. Now I think 60 would be the max. SPL I could handle through the 700cx and the MLs.

brgds, marcelo
Marcelo, this is apparently a change done on all new Ref 3 units leaving the factory now. Tubes are the 6550C and replace the 6H30 on the output stage. Leonard at ARC should be able to tell you more. OneObGin had his unit updated and raves about the change, but has not supplied us with a great amount of details. I have no idea how much ARC charge for an update post facto'.
Has OneObGin confirmed that this is factory made? I checked ARC and the ARCDB (better source than ARC itself) and there is no mention about it.

BTW, the 6550C & 6550EH are Power Triodes, used by ARC on their power amps, the 6H30 & 6922 are preamp ("small signal" as per ARC) tubes...I wonder if we are talking nonsense here...

I´ll check with Leonard and hear what's going on.

brgds and thanks

Marcelo