looking at upgrading my tonearm from a triplanar

I have a Galibier Gavia table, ZYX Universe II cartridge and a triplanar tonearm running through a Doshi Aalap preamp.

The sound is wonderful but I can't help but feel I could enhance the vinyl rig by upgrading the tonearm,
particularly gaining low level detail.

I've read up on a few models and I am looking for input on an arm that would be a significant step up from the triplanar.

I am particularly interested in comments from previous triplanar owners on sonic improvements with a new arm

the Durand Talea, Kuzma 4 Point and Graham are on my short list. I am not considering anything above $10k

thanks

Tom
128x128audiotomb
Hello Doug, I'm simply stating the theory. The bearing should have nothing to do with vibration from the cartridge.

If the arm tube is properly damped and the effective mass is given proper attention it will be found that this is the case.

You can make a similar argument for the suspension and steering in an automobile. If properly designed, the driver can get feedback from the road but it will not be tiring and won't bruise your hands or break your arm if you hit a bump. A damaged or worn suspension and steering system will result in handling problems, not unlike the inability of a damaged arm to properly track a cartridge.

The Triplanar has a damped arm tube and so its bearings (the hardest metal bearings made anywhere in the world) don't have a lot of work to do in this regard, but if they did they are also the best suited to the task.

Any way you look at it, its the best bearing system employed in a tone arm today. In order for anyone to do as well, they will have to get a security clearance. (Triplanar is grandfathered in, but they did get investigated by the Department of Homeland Security on account of the fact that they were using more of these bearings than Boeing Aerospace and the DHS wanted to know why. Turns out some DHS agents like Pink Floyd.)
Geoffrey Owens, the designer of the Helius arms, states that how an arm handles the mechanical energy created by the cartridge is his number one priority in designing an arm! Further, that the bearing assembly should optimally transfer that energy out of both sides of the horizontal bearings at the same time. If it doesn't (and I assume he will tell you very few do), there will be a faint echo created by the arm, because of the mechanical phase differential between the two. Wow.

Helius arms are offered with either Tungsten or Ruby bearings. Goeffrey acknowledges the potential for damage to the Rubies, but feels their surface smoothness is sufficiently superior to ANY metal as to make the risk a worthwhile trade-off. Viewed under a high-powered microscope (Geoffrey's other profession has been in Laser Optics), even the highest spec metal bearings have a very irregular surface. That, of course, creates sticktion.

As in everything else in Hi-Fi, tonearm design is a matter of conflicting design elements, requiring a choice on the part of both designer and consumer.
Viewed under a high-powered microscope (Geoffrey's other profession has been in Laser Optics), even the highest spec metal bearings have a very irregular surface. That, of course, creates sticktion.

The hardest metal bearings are not commercially available- you need a security clearance to get them and even then to get them you have to buy about $50,000 worth at a time (that is what Triplanar does). So this statement doesn't sound right. Did he state how it was that he was able to obtain said bearings? Or is he simply not measuring the 'highest spec metal bearings' as he states?
Some of Geoffrey's other business is involved with NASA-level space exploration. There is actually a superior alternative material already employed in the bearings contained in the Voyager spacecraft, I believe it is, but I don't feel entitled to repeat what was told me a few weeks ago regarding upcoming Helius products. I will just say that if I were looking into State-Of-The-Art tonearms, I would not buy one before next year. You heard it here first!

What Doug said (along with our friend at Helius) ...

Ralph, theory is fine, but the fact is that even our mother planet has a resonant frequency. I fear that it's a bit utopian to expect an armwand to accomplish what our planet cannot do (to dissipate all vibrations into heat).

Bearing precision (and perhaps hardness) are desirable attributes, and congratulations to Tri Mai for sourcing such good bearings, but to categorically state that one's bearings are superior for audio because one needs a Homeland Security clearance is a bit specious and obfuscates the big picture - that (as with all things audio), we're dealing with complex interactions.

I suspect that the relevant attribute of the Tri-Planar bearing has more to do with its ABEC specification (likely 9) - the fact that they are round and to a tighter tolerance, resulting in being less prone to rattling when excited (because the cartridge WILL try to excite them).

It's possible that its material (and possibly hardness) also contributes to energy transfer, but without identical bearing specifications of various materials, one couldn't prove this.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier