looking at upgrading my tonearm from a triplanar

I have a Galibier Gavia table, ZYX Universe II cartridge and a triplanar tonearm running through a Doshi Aalap preamp.

The sound is wonderful but I can't help but feel I could enhance the vinyl rig by upgrading the tonearm,
particularly gaining low level detail.

I've read up on a few models and I am looking for input on an arm that would be a significant step up from the triplanar.

I am particularly interested in comments from previous triplanar owners on sonic improvements with a new arm

the Durand Talea, Kuzma 4 Point and Graham are on my short list. I am not considering anything above $10k

thanks

Tom
128x128audiotomb
Tom, I look forward to reading responses to your question from audiophiles far more knowledgeable than myself. I would think the Schröder Reference tonearm might be mentioned, however I do not own one. I'm thinking when one achieves the high level that you are at we might just be talking about different flavors of tonearms.
Tom,

Durand Talea would be a significant upgrade. The Beta version of the Talea easily bested both my fully tweaked TP and Dan_Ed's in direct A/B comparisons, in my system and his, using UNIverse I and XV-1S. The production models now available include improvements based on Beta tester feedback and further research by Joel. I assume they're even better than what I heard. I'd have replaced my TriPlanar with a Talea long ago if I had the funds and time. Well worth your consideration.

FYI, the Talea also bested a Kuzma Airline in that owner's system, using XV-1S and Tranfiguration Orpheus. While the Airline had a few advantages, the Talea had a notably lower sound floor... clearer and with more low level detail... a more realistic presentation of acoustic instruments. This was agreed by five listeners, including the Airline's owner. If the Airline is sonically superior to the 4 Point (assumption based on price)... draw your own conclusion.
;-)

IME, a Schroeder Reference is not an upgrade to a properly set up TriPlanar VII or above. It may be better with some cartridges, but with a ZYX UNIverse (I or II) it would be a lateral move at best. In a direct A/B, with Frank Schroeder setting up his arm and me setting up the TP, the TP more than held its own. This occured before I discovered or implemented any of the tweaks detailed on the "TriPlanar Tips" thread. Many of those enhance the TP's performance in precisely the areas where the Schroeder should have an advantage (low sound floor). If using a high end ZYX, a fully tweaked TP will probably outplay a Reference.

Haven't heard a Phantom except briefly at shows, so can't say how that would compare.
I found the Talea to be a disappointment compared to the Triplanar, after everything I had heard and read about it. In particular the Triplanar is better in the bass- so far, the best I have heard. I use recordings I have recorded myself for reference, as I know how they are supposed to sound (Canto General, if anyone is asking).

The Triplanar has the hardest bearings of any arm made. Its one of the reasons it works so well.

Recently the arm has been updated with more flexible wire, and there are two newer models, the 12" and a regular size that uses the new arm tube materials of the 12".

So it might be that the thing to do is get the older arm updated.