Preamp Recommendations Lamm, Ayre K-1x, BAT 31SE

Curent System:
Ayre V-5x amp
Levinson 390S CDP directly driving the Ayre
Dynaudio Contour 3.0 Speakers
Au24 speaker cables, Audience Power Cord, PS Audio P300 for CDP, Cardas Golden Cross XLR IC

As much as I like the transparency of the CDP directly driving the amp, the system is begging for a high quality preamp. I've never owned tube gear, but am interesting in trying a good one. I like what I have read about the Lamm LL2, the Ayre-1x, and the BAT 31SE. Of course there are so many other offerings from Hovland, Sonic Fronteirs, ARC, C-J, CAT, and so on.....

I listen to a lot of vocals (Joni Mitchell, Nora Jones, Lucinda Williams, Ella Fitzgerald) and simple jazz arrangements, and occasionaly rock (Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, dave mathews).

As lazy as it sounds, I also want/need a remote (which eliminates many). Also, for some perhaps stupid reason, I want it to handle XLR in/out since that's what I currently have.

Your thoughts and expereinces (especially Ayre or other good SS amp owners) GREATLY appreciated.
artg
Rayhall:

Is the standard F.S. model the Presence Deluxe II?
I believe you've the Presence Deluxe 4.0 - that's outside my budget.
A used Presence Deluxe II is closer (slightly more expensive) to the price of a Supratek Chardonnay. These are the two models I am considering, given my budget constraint. It's not fair to compare a Chardonnay to a Deluxe 4.0.
One thing I like about the F.S. is the ability to upgrade and presence of local agents.

Edmund
Rayhall-
I full appreciate that the First Sound might be as good or better than some of the other preamps on my list, but my source (Levinson 390S) and amp (Ayre V-5x) both perform *much* better when run in full balanced mode. This is a simple fact, so conceptually its hard to look at preamps that put both the thing feeding it and the thing it feeds at relative disadvantage.....

Im still learing about this stuff, and my gear is in flux as of late, so tell me, do you think Im being unecessarily limiting in my approach?
Edmund,

Yes, the full name of the standard model is First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II 2.0. I don't know how much better, if at all, the 4.0 is over the 2.0. I have only heard the 4.0. Moreover, the F.S. linestages have many options in the sense that many people send them back for little upgrades which are offered but not reflected in new model numbers. Sometimes, it is hard to know which unit is being offered and what "version" it is. If it is older than 1 1/2-2 years or hasn't been back to F.S. in that time, it is almost certainly not current. The local dealer network, depending on where you live, may not be that deep for F.S. products, but anyway, I think the product is very much worth consideration for how it sounds. Perhaps you'll do an audition of F.S. Presence Deluxe Mk II 2.0 and let ME know how it sounds?

Artg,

I can't say whether you are being too narrow in the way that you are approaching a pre-amp purchase. For me, there are always 4 questions to ask when evaluating anything new:

1. How good can this product sound?

2. How will it sound in my system?

3. If the answer to question 1 is fantastic and to question 2 is only OK, then am I willing to make changes to my system to make it sound fantastic with this new product?

4. How much will it all cost and are the changes worth it, considering the cost?

Beyond that, I am willing to listen to anything, any technology, any price range, even if I am not willing to buy everything. To me, its the only way to learn what sounds good. If, as you say, transparency and vocals are high on your list of "must haves", I can't say how you can rule out the F.S., if you have an opportunity to listen, without trying. These are the things it does exceptionally well.

I agree that you already have fine gear and for you, the answer to one or more of the four questions may mean no upgrade or at least none that I suggested listening to.

You may find that the Ayre preamp a better match to your V-5X and your Levinson player. As I said in my original post, the Ayre preamp and amp (I listened to the K-1 and V-1 combo) did many things exceptionally well. If the V-5X is a step above the V-1, that may be very much a keeper and worth building the rest of your system around, but there is no harm in listening to other things.

Good luck.
thanks again, Rayhall. I concur and would agree with your philophy of listening to as much gear as possible, it's just not always practical. I do have local BAT, Atma-Sphere, VTL, Audio Research, and Ayre dealers, and they do allow for take-home auditions, but I feel unethical doing this knowing there is no way I'd pay anywhere close to retail new on any of these items given the HUGE used market out there......

As for synergy, The V1 is actually the higher powered version of the V5. the V1x and V5x are upgrades to the original V1/V5 products, much as the K1x is an upgrade to the K1. If what you heard was the non-x version of that set-up, you'd be suprised how much better the 'x' version sounded (better bass, wider soundstage, more dynamic).

I'm all hell-bent on a tubed preamp mostly because I audiotined a mid-level tubed preamp (AR LS25 MK2)and loved what it did for the sound. Following that logic, I thought - what about even better preamps, which leaves me where I am.

Funny thing about the FS gear, I have a LOCAL guy selling a Paramount for $4K, which by all accounts sounds like a crazy steal. I almost bought it on reputation, but then I had a (fortunately brief) financial scare a month ago and backed out of the deal. anyway, all's clear on the $ front, but Im resistting the single ended, non-remote option. I guess I could buy and try, with the intent to resell if things are not to my liking. at these prices, it shouldn't be that hard to resell at close to purchase price.....
I had a totally balanced system with GamuT CD1R, Pass X2.5 preamp, and GamuT Mk. 3 amp. This was an excellent combo. I then ventured into a tube preamp which is single ended (deHavilland Mercury class A, no negative feedback, triode design). I use the wonderful Cardas XLR RCA adapters. The sound is wonderful in every respect. See my brief review on the "other" forum on 11/03/04. The Mercury comes with a remote option. Needless to say I do not missed my balanced system at all. The less expensive deHavilland Ultraverve was Enjoy The Music.com preamp of the year. I would be very surprised if the top of the line CAT, VTL or BAT improves upon the Mercury. which is 3995 retail with remote. I highly recommend you include this gem with your other auditions. You can talk to Kara the designer whom I imagine would arrange for an audition.