Turntable and a Passive pre?

I've been looking to upgrade my preamp, so my latest bit o' kit to audition is a borrowed (custom) Passive 'preamp' - my first experience with a Passive - and I'm really digging the result!

...thing Is I'm a also a vinyl guy,so this only helps with the little Silver discs...

the question then is: is it possible (or practical) to drive a passive Pre with something like an Ear Phono pre? (the Phono Pre I've been eyeing - pardon the pun)
or is a Passive a no-go with a phono pre? or is this simply an issue of matching the phono pre and amp Impedences?

thanks!
breeno
Check to see how "sensative" your amp is and compare it the output voltage of the phono stage. I run passive also with an amp that has a sensativity of 1.2 volts to drive it to full output. My phono stage output is based on the output of the cartridge itself. I use a 2.2 mV high output MC cartridge and I am fine volume wise. If I had a 4mV grado, I could probably shake the walls, but no need to as I value my hearing. Also, the sensativity of your speakers will be a factor as well.

R.
I am using a custom preamp designed and built by Kevin Carter @ K&K Audio. It is a two chasis design with an outboard PS for Kevin's excellent MC phono stage. For attenuation I am using a pair of the Mark I version TX-102 transformers. I have two other inputs which I use for my tuner and my digital front end. This is the best preamp I have ever had in my system, bar none. But my point is that a well designed tube phono stage with enough gain(I have about 72db for my 0.3mV cart.) can work exceedingly well with a passive device. I have all the volume and dynamics I could ever ask for, and the phono stage is as quiet as most SS devices, minimal tube rush even at very high settings.

Oz
I use an Art Audio Vinyl One that has a built in passive attenuator and hook it up directly to my amplifier. One less set of interconnects/connections makes for better sound.

You probably could wire an attenuator to the EAR and forget about the passive pre.