Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
A hotel room is no indication of how they sound in a properly set up listening room. Like you said thats why we have choices. We each like have different opinions and likes and dislikes. For my money there is no comparison.
Guys, this goes for any great speaker and not just Vandy's. I don't see how you can get a good read from a show. Music is about the emotion and evolvement. The contestants who win those tV shows have the big dynamic voices (mostly). The TV's in a show room are on BRIGHT. The speakers that catch your ear in a showroom or show are the ones who are tipped up on both ends of the spectrum much of the time. I was at a demo of Vandy 7's and the 5's were playing in the other room and folks just gravitated to the other room. Granted they were smoking in there. They were the best I've ever heard 5 sound. I stayed in the vinyl room with ref AR/Vandersteen amps and the 7's....I heard things that I've never heard before and I was VERY familiar with the cuts as well as the gear and the room. I went up to Richard and the owner and told them both I was in shock as how incredible the 7's sounded. They had the emotion, the speed, the timbre.....the stage, the placement of sound and everything else you hear at a live event. It wasn't 'hifi' and I got one other audiophile to go back in the room with me to give them a real listen while everyone else was around the 5's. This person listened for a few tracks and said that he too heard and felt what I did. It was like being at a live event. I know that Richfield will probably say the same thing. It isn't the speaker that will jump out at you and 'impress' you, but over time it's the one that does nearly everything right. It even plays big if you want that. I've spent a lot of time recently with some of the speakers on Matt's list and am impressed by many. The thing is I can't live with many of them as they are missing something and often it's because they are tipped up 1 to even 2 db on the top and that's to grab folks attention. That's why you get so fatigued and blame it on other components or your room. We've all gone this route in the past and will continue to.

For me I'd audition the newest Rockport, Kharma, Avalon (haven't heard them in years but used to like them), Wilson and Tidal. I've spent a fair amount of time with all the above except the Kharma and Avalon. I think I have liked the Tidal best behind the Vandy's. I heard them with all Tidal gear and they were set up perfectly in the dealer's home. I just couldn't' fully get into the layers of texture of the songs like I do with the 7's. We all have different likes and dislikes, that's for sure.

Matt, please let me know if you head over to Johnny's for a listen and I'll try to get down to meet you in person. Richfield, that goes for you too!
Matt I'm wondering if you're still using the Mac Mini as your source? Because if so I'd really suggest that before you make a decision on speakers and do this home audition that you consider how much the Mini is effecting what you're hearing, because it is.. more than you realize.. FWIW I'd recommend looking into an Aurender..at least get demo of one.. it will change your thoughts on lots of stuff.
Are you in New Jersey? If so, I would give Brett Messler at Audio 202 in Far Hills a call. Some of the speakers on your audition list were also on mine. Brett carries some interesting brands you won't hear elsewhere. I auditioned Behold Tanara speakers and thought they were a lot better than Vivid, Marten, Wilson, Raidho, and Acoustic Zen. Behold speakers also would work well in a room your size. I have no affiliation, I am just a former satisfied customer and thought he might be in your locale. If you are not in New Jersey, sorry.
True enough, hotel rooms, larger show suites, etc.... Are not ideal.... Never the less, they are structural equalizers... They make things equally poor for everyone. Yet, in the unfavorable environment, equipment and speakers, and... professional setup make a difference.

I have fallen in love with Vienna speakers not because of their published specs or semi-technical marketing blurbs, neither because of reviews or user reportsthe, but because of the Vienna sound at RMAF, in hotel suites... structural Limitations and all. A combination of the speakers, the professional setup by Kevin Wolff and Rod Tomson, and the ancillary electronics. The end result in my system confirmed and amplified my opinions of Mahlers and Die Muzik. Needless to say, your mileage/reactions may vary.

Conversely, Vandersteen speakers did not stir my emotions, in spite that Richard V. had lovingly optimized their position and settings for the specific room acoustics, and that ancillary electronics and cabling were often brands and models that I enjoyed elsewhere. Thus, I did not feel any urgency to extend my exposure to equipment that had not caught my emotions.

Am I ever consistent with.... "on't try 'em at home unless I gathered positive audible data points already? Uhrn.... No. Hi Fidelity power cords are a case in point... Persuaded by Harve (Fplanner2000), sight unseen (or is it sound unheard) I started a review project on the CT-1 PCs a couple of weeks ago... Absolutely stunning stuff.... I will start posting my listening notes as soon as I have fixed grammar etc... But.... cables do not weigh 200 Lbs each, and do not require a team of brawny blokes to hoist them to my music loft *grins!*

G.