Reference DACS: An overall perspective

There has been many threads the last few months regarding the sonic signature of some of the highest regarded reference DACS (Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) here on the GON. I have been very fortunate to audtion many of these wonderful pieces in my home or friend's systems. I wanted to share, in a systematic way, my impressions/opinions with you GON members for a two reasons: 1)That my experiences might be helpful to fellow members interested in audtioning these DACS. 2)Starting an interesting discussion regarding the different "sonic flavors" of these reference digital front ends. I totally agree with the statement, "if you have not heard it you don't have an opinion". Therefore, I have no comments regarding DACS from Weiss,Goldmund,Audio Aero and Burmester because I have never had the pleasure of audtioning them. I would love to hear from members who have and share their experiences with us. My overall impression is that these DACS(Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) can be grouped into two molar categories regarding their overall sonic signature. By the way, all of them can throw a large/deep soundstage with excellent layering in the acoustic space with "air" around individual players on that stage. However, than they start to part company into two major categories. Category #1) These DACS "flavors" revolve around pristine clarity, fine sharp details,speed,very extended top/bottom frequencies,and great PRAT. These DACS never sound "etched" or "in your face" but are more "upfront" then "layed back" in their presentation. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Dcs,Ensemble,Meitner. My personnal favorite in this group is the Ensemble, which I owned for two years. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Wilson,Thiel,Dynaudio, Focal/JM Labs. Category #2) These DACS "flavors" revolve around a "musical/organic" sense, natural timbres,and an easy flowing liquidity. Their "less forward" presentation my give the impression of less detail, but I think in this case its an illusion fostered by their more relaxed/organic manner. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts. I did find that the tube DACS did not have the top/bottom frequency extenstion and PRAT of the SS DACS in this bracket. For me, the Accustic Arts DAC1-MK3 gave me the best of both categories, therefore it is now the resident DAC in my system. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Magnepan,Von Schweikert,Sonus Faber. Well, it's all just my opinion regarding these digital pieces, but I hope this post was at least informative/somewhat interesting and would lend itself to other GON members sharing their impressions, not about what DAC is the "BEST" in the world, but your personnal taste and synergy with your system.
teajay
Kops,

Just to respond on your sharing on the DCS/AMR experience. I haven't had the pleasure of trying out any DCS gear myself (out of my price range :-) So I'll have to defer to your observations.

However, I do see both these DAC's approach from opposite ends of the spectrum. AMR very much focus on the PRAT aspects of music, I've learned that their designer voice the DAC to several top vinyl playback systems. So to a vinyl fan such as myself, this DAC will have it's natural appeal.

From what I've read on the DCS gear they are known for being precise and detailed. Both are virtues that should be prize, but their design philosophy is clearly of a different school from the AMR DAC.

When I was considering the AMR DAC, the others I consider were the Weiss 202 and AudioNote 4.1. The Weiss would probably be a better comparison for the DCS.

I have notice the AMR DP-777 had more polarize feedbacks than many other new products. Not trying to rationalize observations of others but I do want to note that AMR did point out they had issue with an early batch of the product where a chip was not up to spec. I had checked with AMR to confirm that my DAC was of the later issued ones without the chip problem. I think this was pointed out by AMR in their response to the Stereophile review as well. They had use a DAC with the chip problem in the review; rather stupid of them...

The other observation I want to point out, was that this DAC really transform in its break in period; much more so than other gear I dealt with. The difference between the fully broken in DAC vs the new one is pretty dramatic. Also the each input source require separate break-in because it uses different tube/circuit path. Ie- the SPDIF had uses a tube which is bypass when using USB. Likewise, the volume control had silver resistors that took 400-500 hrs to break in if you were using the volume control.

With in the $5-6K price range, the AMR offers the most of what I like in music playback.

I would love it if someone can point me to a dac that can offer more...

For Less would be even better.

I'm just happy with this DAC in the meantime as my search continues for that next DAC :-)
What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to hear the final mix from the artist in the recording studio or are you doing the final mix yourself?
I haven't read this thread exhaustively, but my initial impression is that the Theta DACs have received relatively little love here. Why is that? I've always thought they were among the best in the biz? I have a Theta III and I LOVE it; best DAC I have ever owned. Admittedly, I have had few other truly hi-end DACs with which to compare it, but I've never been unhappy with it in any sense.

Anyway, just curious.
Hi Aewhistory,

I'm the one that started this thread. The Theta III is without a doubt a type one sounding DAC. Very dynamic and detailed with a bold spacial presentation. I always found Theta's DACs to be somewhat analytical sounding without some of the natural timbres that our very important to me to relax into the music.
Hey All -

I wanted to read all of this posting on DAC's on my kindle, so I made eBook files.
Figured I'd share it in case anyone is interested..

This goes from the first TeaJay post on 09-15-05 to the last on 09-28-12.

EPUB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/c9dnq88
MOBI: http://preview.tinyurl.com/d8dt4yv
RTF: http://preview.tinyurl.com/c4o6uxn

I haven't read it yet - so I'm not sure I got everything 100% right - but hey give it a shot :)
enjoy,
S_