How many of you guys use a HT processor ?

I was thinking about using a home theater processor as a 2 channel pre amp and was wondering how many of you use this set up with good results. I understand that it would be overkill specially using only digital as the only playback source, but I would think that the processor with it's built in DAC would save on space and ICs. My two top candidates would be Theta or EAD. I listen to all types of music but value acoustical (guitar) and vocals highly. I would appreciate your opinion.
romakabi
I have a Theta Casablanca with extreme DACS and still use a pre pro for music, both digital and analog. A ht processor is a computer, not a pre-pro.
You are much better off with a pre-pro and a player for two channel music.
I used to have a combination HT/Listening room. Before I seperated everything. I used a Lexicon processor for both. I thought it sounded great. It worked well for me for some time. Like 2 or 3 years. Then I discovered the sound of tubes. I built a dedicated listening room.
I have built basicaly a Class B system for music. Rogue Magnum M120 monos and a Rogue Magnum 99 pre. Proac Studio 250 speakers. Cal CL 15 CD and a Vpi TT. Also a Graham Slee phono pre. Now I cant even think of combining 2 rooms. Every now and then I will pop in a CD in my HT room. Then I sit and hit play. Get up real quick and think to myself, "what the hell am I doing". My HT room and a lot of time and effort put into the design abd proportions.
18" thick walls, and sized according to the ceiling height.I have 7 Luxury HT chairs in there in 2 levels. 3 in the front row and 4 in the back row.
Even with the thousands spent on my HT equipment that used to pull double duty. And the time and money designing the room for the perfect sound. It doesn't compare to my listening room that is not the ideal measurments.
The Myryad gear always ranks pretty well. I have no idea about it personally other than it looks pretty and reviews well.
Thanks for the responses. I guess you all pretty much answered my question and agree that a preamp processor is not the way to get maximum musical information out of a 2 channel system. Sooo, for now I will continue to search for a line level preamp or player with volume control that fits my needs. Thanks again to all for your responses and suggestions. Roman
Yeah unfortunately you can't ultimately expect world class sonics by simply using an HT pre/pro connected digitally from a source!...thus using the DAC's in your pre/pro. You will get better refinement by finding a very good CD source that has good DAC's, and thus sounds good from it's analog out's, connected to a good high quality 2 channel preamp!(or maybe soon/future, a good 5.1 or better SACD/DVDA player, with outputs into a 5.1 or better high quality high end analag preamp I presume!).
I've done it both way's with just about every kind of system imaginable, right up to the very pinnacle of gear sellections($60k speakers, $40k amp's, $12k av pre/pro's, $15k digital sources, multi $k connections, etc, etc, etc.).
Don't get me wrong...while digital processors in these AV pre/pro's have come ALONG WAY, especially for 16 bit cd playback or HDCD, etc., and they still better the sound of older CD player processing, they can't compete overall in refinement by doing what I mentioned earlier!
The analog or digital preamp sections in these AV pre/pro's just doesn't quite offer the goods compared to what's capable ultimately...at least not yet.
However, that said, many will find using a good AV pre/pro as a preamp, either digitally or from analog connections, more than satisfactory!...and it can sound good...don't get me wrong. You gotta judge for yourself.
But I've done it both ways, with passives, actives, pre/pro's only, etc, and the CD source into a good preamp is still the purist. However, there is not bass managment or Digital EQ's or anything that can be utiliazed that way if you need it...which are really the only downside there.
As for passive preamp choices, I think that argument/topic has been more than covered a bagillion times