Battle of the BAT's, VK-60 vs. VK-220

My dealer has recomended BAT for my next amp. I am trying to figure out which is my best BAT, uhm bet (pun intended) He has helped me narrow it down to these two amps, a VK-60 or VK-200. I only want to purchase from him based on my past expereinces so these are the only two I will consider. Who has put the VK-60 head to head with the VK-200? I have a new pair of Von Schweikert VR4 jr's, Audible Illusions L1, Parasound transport with a Benchmark DAC & listen to rock & roll exclusively. I am replacing my McCormack DNA-1 with either amp. I tend to listen to my music at higher levels, about 90-100 db on average.

A nice tube amp intrigues me & later down the road I can purchase another one for a set of mono's. My worry is that the VK-60 will not have enough power & authority to drive the VR jr's to their potential.

I enjoy the bass slam a powerful solid state amp will give me. I have never heard a really good tube amp or any BAT product so I am a little aprehensive. He will allow me to return either so it won't be such a big risk, I'd only be out shipping. The solid state is apealing b/c of the extra power.

Tubes are romantic but will they cut the mustard with the kind of music I generally listen to driving a pair of 89db speakers? The VK-220 certainly has enough power but will I miss the "magic" of tubes? There are enough devotees to both sides so please let the battle begin!
fishwater
Great thread. I currently run a VK-200 with a VK-3i. I love it! Ironically, this is my first 2 years of "high end" audio. I too would like to try the VK-60, but $ issues... Speakers are RBH towers 1266s and CD is Sony XA20ES.
I must say that the sound is wonderful. I have a very difficult time ignoring the call of my stereo room, then tearing myself away is even more painful. Form Coltrane to to Eugene Miroslav, The Beatles to Los Lobos, Mozart to Steely Dan, Aretha to Krall, I am actually content with the bands in my room. Acoustic blue grass- John Reischmann to Bob Wills, just beautiful. The Cuervo Gold, the fine Colombian, make every night a wonderful thing.
Any recommendations are always welcome from this great site.
Cheers
This is a neat thread. I love the VK-60. I run mine with a ARC LS-15 preamp. They mate quite well, and the sound is livelier and maybe (only maybe) more detailed than my VK-31. KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!
fishwater,
Keep this in mind.the VK-60 will increase your room temp by atleast 10 degree.but it s a great amp.
OK, to keep this thread alive, it has been almost one year since I purchased my VK-60. I have been in love, nothing has changed in my system. I finally stopped listening to equipment & started listening to the music. I am in the market for a new home, one that will have a dedicated listening room where I can open everything up & just enjoy.

I have promised myself at that point I will buy another BAT, for the past year I have lusted over the thoughts of another VK-60 but lately I have started to have solid state thoughts. Possibly the VK-220 to power the bass modules & give me the slam I miss at times.

I have finally figured out what I find so apealing with my system & have decided it is the energy of the music, the presence, you can just feel it as it reaches your chest. It is still an incredible experience every time I fire the rig up & melt in the couch for a little.

So, I wonder if an additional VK running in mono producing 120 watts will have better bass definition than a solid state amp? I also wonder if my room could take the additional heat, so I guess at this point I will have to wait until we find our dream house with my dream listening room.
Fishwater, it's great to hear that you've spent a happy year with the VK60.

I noticed your virtual system hasn't been updated to reflect the addition of the BAT. Are any other components different in your set up?

Also, you list a McCormack DNA1 as part of your system. Do you still have this amp or was it replaced by the VK60? Were you able to draw a sonic comparison between the two? I've always wondered how the DNA1 would compare to my VK200.