What do Oil Caps do and how do they effect sound?

Being new to tubes I would like to know what Oil Caps do and how it changes the quality of sound. How does it work?

Also, on the amplifcation side of things why does Solid State have higher wattage than tubes?
c019740
I've seen testing where oil caps did marvelously well in terms of passing a signal with minimal degradation. Don't ask me what brands they were, as the brands weren't mentioned. Having said that, many find oil caps to be soft, warm and musical sounding. It is possible that they sound less "accurate" because many folks that grew up listening to lower grade SS gear were used to listening to non-linear distortions, which resulted in high end emphasis or "false detail".

As to why SS gear is typically rated for higher power levels than tube based designs, it has to do with current capacity. SS gear can typically pass a LOT more current. Since wattage equals voltage multiplied by the current in the circuit, greater current capacity with the same voltage will result in more total power output. Too much current will typically "blow" a tube faster than it will a transistor. Whereas tubes "open up" and fail, a transistor can blow a few junctions and still keep operating. It might not work as well as it used to under extreme conditions, but it is still working. As such, tubes are typically more fragile and either "work" or "don't work" acceptably. This is especially true of power output tubes in amplifiers. Sean
>
Sean is correct, but remember that many speakers produce their best sound by way of voltage, not wattage. Soundlab is a perfect example.

The ultra high rail voltages of tube amps will typically drive this load better than transistors.

For example, some SET Tube amps rated as low as 20 watts run 1,000 volt (or higher) rail voltage and therefore can swing enough drive the big Soundlabs to near 90 DB SPL.

No 20 watt transistor amp I am aware of would work on big Soundlabs. In addition, transistors hate big impedances in bass, reducing power to a fraction of it's textbook rating. Some tube amps actually produce MORE power at 30 ohms than 8 ohms.

In other words, the answer is not always easy to determine by numbers or text. As always, listening is the most important test you can make.
Albert, I'm not sure whether you were being facetious or not? You actually gave a pretty good argument for using the numbers or text.