Tenor Hybrid v. VTL MB-450 Sig.

I am planning on replacing my VTLs with the Tenor stereo 150 hybrid . Since I will not be able to hear them first and since they are a substantial outlay over what my VTLs are worth, I am hoping that some of you may have heard both. Would you mind characterizing the differences that I should expect to hear? I have Merlin VSMMs, a First Sound preamp, and an Audio Logic 24mxl DAC. Other amps that I am considering are the Joule VZN-100s, or a CAT JL2. My pre-purchase buyers remorse is that they will be better but maybe not commensurate with the extra cost. I am aware of the higher cost/diminshing returns reality. However, from what I have read, these hybrids seem to be a huge step up. If I audition a piece and hear an improvement that meets my personal cost/benefit ratio, I buy it. So, with no personal experience with the Tenors, I am finding it is a bit difficult to make the leap to buy the most exp. piece of gear in my system. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. By the way, JTinn and I have had several conversations about this subject. He had been very helpful and generous with his time. In this post, I am looking for more of a comsumer point of view.
brooksl
Hello guys. This thread has certainly taken some unexpected turns. Jim, thanks for trying to keep the focus of the thread on amplifier ideas. Bob, thank you for injecting a possibility that I had not considered.

It has never occurred to me that the size of my room could be an issue. However, just in case it could be a problem - my room is a basement shaped like a "U." The left side is the listening area which is 18x26x7. The empty area in the center of the "U" is the staircase (it is walled off toward the listening area). The speakers are at the top left of the letter firing toward the bottom. There are French doors w/glass panes at the top left of the letter and there are no other doors or partitions.

One of the other reasons that I am considering replacing the VTLs is that I cannot turn my preamp up past 9:00 (in triode) without it becoming too loud. That is three or four, 2 decibel clicks on my volume control. I would like the ability to fine tune the volume better. This would automatically make one consider a different preamp. However, after hearing many other preamps, I really like my First Sound. Even the Placette RVC with its 98 steps, was not better in this respect because it ramps up quickly.

Have any of you had your Merlins updated to the MX version? Is that even a possibility?
Zaikesman, no need to qualify your comments. I've got thick skin. We're just batting it around a little. Crump is a good guy and I understand his point, and I'm sure he understands mine. Ooops, looky there, it's Beer:30 Time to go....
brooksl

just contact first sound and ask them how to reduce the gain. they'll know.

bobby
good to know you resolved one of the only issues w/ your otherwise outstanding, overachieving speakers. within their limits, they were quite wonderful.

rhyno
I've really enjoyed reading this thread (or 'string' as Bobby calls it :-) and got a lot of laughs. Sounds like a bunch of guys with some different priorities and different ways of hearing things, but guess we're all after the same thing: music enjoyment. Particularly enjoyed Zaikesman's 'soup Nazi' quip and appreciate Bob's and Bobby's contributions, however diverse they may be. Jim2, you might want to lighten up just a touch, nobody's attacking you or your system.

Brooks and I had a fun chat yesterday, and we'll get together as he can check out a few things in his quest for the best. Meanwhile, I look forward to more helpful ideas to be posted.

Brian Walsh
Bobby, you said, "This greatly reduced an energy storage issue which John Atkinson picked up on in his tests."

This begs the question: Why did it take a reviewer to pick up on this problem for you to discover and correct it?

You mention a program of "on going research" yet this very very basic aspect of design, a simple resonance problem, was overlooked? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of your VSM... but how could you miss a design problem this obvious?