Which Counterpoint Preamp SA-5000 or SA- 5.1???

I have a friend with both of the Counterpoint preamps and he says for me to pick the one I want and he will keep the other. So Counterpoint owners, which one should I pick and why?

Thanks and Happy Listening.
bigkidz
I am glad to see other 'Pointheads sticking up for great products! While my lowly 7.1 does not see much action any more, I still love it and will not part with it.
I have been using a sa1000 and sa20 combo now for 3 yrs after sending them to Mike for the basic upgrades.Prior to these,I had a sa 3000 and sa12,both stock,bought in 1988.I never had any problems,plus Mike is so prompt and professional when it comes to advice and service.So I recommend either product,though I have not heard those 2.Hope this helps,good luck in your venture,Bob
Just had to chime in on the "reliability" issue with Counterpoints. I currently own a SA220/NP220 amp modified by Mike Elliott) and it is a tank...no problems whatsoever, and extremely satisfying musically. I also have a SA100. I have in the past owned SA12 amp and a SA5000 preamp. NEVER had any problems with any of them.

I believe that some Counterpoint products got a reputation based on (1) the MOSFETs used in the outputs of the SA12, SA100, SA20 and SA220 were susceptible to blowing if you shorted the speaker wires, and (2) the subcontractor who built the power supply for the Magnus Opus One preamp screwed up and had 100% failure in the field.

However, don't let the generalizations and reputation stop you from trying Counterpoints. The upgrades are extremely reliable AND extremely good. Just check out the Alta Vista Web site,then give Mike Elliott a call if you have questions. He is quite accesible and will give you the straight scoop.
Tad