Need more info on the Electron Kinetics Eagle-7A

Hi all!
First let me explain that I am currently using a Perreaux 3150B amp in my system to power the woofer columns in my RS 1-B speaker system. I previously had a Perreaux 2150B amp and before that a Bryston 4B. With the help of you all and especially Sean (thanks Sean) I decided to get the Perreaux 3150B. I bought it used. When I hooked it up I got a hum (not audible when music is playing) through the right column. I was also, however, getting a funny noise (sounding like sneakers of a gym floor?)every once in a while and when I powered it up. I brought it in to AnalogiQue for repair but they found nothing wrong. By the way...with my Perreaux 2150B back in place I get dead silence. So I'm thinking the amp most go (maybe).

Someone has an Eagle 7-A amp for sale....I tried looking up reviews but could not. Anyone here have experience with it.

I would also welcome comments on the following amps I am considering:
Bryston 7B
Threshold Statis 500
Krell KRS 250
Rotel 1090

Thanks again all for your help and support!!!
rwd
Kana: My comments are not only based on the technical measurements that John Curl obtained when testing this unit, but the suitability of this product for Rick's specific intended use.

From my past experience with the Perreaux 2150's, these amps typically clip in excess of 250 wpc @ 8 ohms and 400+ wpc @ 4 ohms. The 3150 is a far beefier amp with much greater bottom end authority, as Rick will confirm. While i can't explain the specific problems that he's having, my guess is that the Carver Pro might not solve the problem and would probably be a step backwards in terms of bass output and control.

The fact that the ZR 1600 was breaking up / oscillating at less than 200 wpc @ 8 ohms ( John measured 180 wpc into a dummy load ) would mean that it would probably perform even worse with a more reactive, far lower impedance load. Comparing that to the "real" 500+ wpc that the 3150 is capable of into 4 ohm loads or even the 400 wpc that the 2150 was offering should demonstrate why i have the thoughts that i do.

As a side note judging by what Rick and i discussed on the phone, i don't think that he's unhappy with the performance of the 3150. From what i gathered, i think that his main problem is the hum and other "odd" noise being generated with it in the system. If he could solve this problem, i think that he would prefer to run what he already has. I could be wrong, but that's what i was led to believe. Sean
>
I had several of John Iverson's amps including the Electro Research and the Eagle 7s. This was a long time ago, however, and regardless of how good I found them then, they are probably surpassed today. For example I use a Citation 7.1 four channel amp on my subwoofers. I bridge the left and right two channels. I had actually looked for my old Eagles when I needed a subwoofer amp, but could not find them.

John's amps are rather straight-forward so I think someone competent in circuits could repair them.
Hi all....just an update and again.....Thank you all for chiming in.
Sean you are correct with regard to my admiration for the Perreaux 3150B. If I can fix the two problems...this is the amp form my bass columns. It has the weights and control to offer a concert hall realism to music.
Now to some of your questions and some comments.

Yes, I do float the ground. I also tried direct into the wall and unfloating the groung.....still the problems.

As to the woofer columns and Kana's suggestion about pressing the woofer's to see if the noise appears.....that I will try. However, this "sneaker to gym floor noise", sort of a squeak, happens intermittently with or with any music playing. It also appears, for a second, when I turn on the amp. Then it goes away.

My biggest concern is that this does not happen whether 2150B is installed. So if it was a problem with the servo control on the Infinity, wouldn't it be doing the same problem with the 2150B???

Again, thanks all and Sean I will read up on your thread. I still would love to offer you a great Italian dinner to coax you over for a visit and "repair".......????
Hi all....just an update and again.....Thank you, all for chiming in.
Sean you are correct with regard to my admiration for the Perreaux 3150B. If I can fix the two problems...this is the amp form my bass columns. It has the weights and control to offer a concert hall realism to music.
Now to some of your questions and some comments.

Yes, I do float the ground. I also tried direct into the wall and unfloating the groung.....still the problems.

As to the woofer columns and Kana's suggestion about pressing the woofer's to see if the noise appears.....that I will try. However, this "sneaker to gym floor noise", sort of a squeak, happens intermittently with or with any music playing. It also appears, for a second, when I turn on the amp. Then it goes away.

My biggest concern is that this does not happen whether 2150B is installed. So if it was a problem with the servo control on the Infinity, wouldn't it be doing the same problem with the 2150B???

Again, thanks all and Sean I will read up on your thread. I still would love to offer you a great Italian dinner to coax you over for a visit and "repair".......????
Rick- one final thought- if you have a multimeter, check the DC offset in the right channel of the 3150, If it's off(should be as close to 0 vdc as possible) or not stable(compare it to the left channel), it could be interacting with servo crossover to cause the your problem.

Sean- I haven't heard the Perreaux 2150B/3150, I'm sure
they are excellent amps.