Where do tubes matter most???

Here's a question from a newbie:

Where do you get the most of that nice "tube sound"? Some say the ratio of importance of tubes in the pre-amp vs power amp is 75/25, others say it's really 50/50. Some say a good hybrid amp will get you most of the way there, others seem to be more all or nothing.

I see a lot of Hybrids with pre-amp tubes, but I never see any hybrids that have solid state preamp with a tube amplifler. I'm assuming this is because It's less expensive to drive inefficient speakers with a solid state amplifier, but do considerations of musicality and sound fit into this design?
lastwaltz
Generally speaking I think that tubes usually impart their characteristics most in amplifiers, and depending on their load it may or may not be for the best of technological reasons. There may be some particular tube amps that are exceptions. While I haven't heard them myself (I very much would like to) the Walcotts may be such an exception. As to whether this imparted characteristic is "nice" is open to debate.
The best place to use tubes is in the preamp and source, adding that wonderful distortion (gulp, I admit it) we tube-lovers thrive on.

A "really good" solid state amplifier will add very little to the signal that it's been fed. Note the emphasis on "really good". Using a quality solid state amplifier downstream allows the infamous "straight-wire-with-mucho-gain" amplifier to feed the preconditioned signal to your transducers with authority. The amp will not add any obvious sonic signature to the music but will provide controlled/consistent power to your speakers. I realize this may sound somewhat theoretical and maybe even a bit of a stretch to some, but there are many "really good" solid state amplifiers on the market. It works for me, even sober.

Jeff
So far dealers have only played me all-tube amp/preamps or all solid state amp/preamps. I like the liquid effect of tubes, the etched sound of solid state amps I've heard hasn't really done it for me.

Is that because I'm hearing solid state amps that are not "really good"? What would you consider a "really good" solid state amp? And is the cheapest way to not get that "etching" effect to use mosfet rather than bi-polar transistors? I'm still in college so I have to be creative and work within a budget.
lastwaltz, my guess is that you haven't heard a "really good" ss amp, as (1) there aren't very many, and (2) they are all pretty expensive. My list of "really good" ss amps under $5k and $10k retail is: Ayre V5x ($4500) and Pass X350 ($9000). Perhaps some will object to this brevity, but I don't know of any others that are as good as these two in their price range. If you can find either, listen to it, preferably with a good tube preamp. You have been warned, though: you'll find it hard to go back to budget gear.
I don't want to tempt myself by listening to a 4500 amp...yet. I'm kind of leaning forward to an Dynaco ST-70/Klipsch combination.