Mosfet vs. Bipolar revisited and the Belles 350A

I have always favored bipolar outputs with mosfet drivers until I ran into the Belles 350A. I stated this preference in a thread sometime ago. After listening to the 350A, I have to do an about face (at least with this amp.) The 350A uses 3 gain stages and operates almost entirely in class "B" with a very little of class "A."
I have heard a lot of amps but never one so neutral, transparent, reveiling and most any other attribute. It also has unbelievable bass control, pitch definition and lower transparency. No Mosfet haze here.
I have been using a Theta Dreadnaught 4-ch amp biwired. I must say, this amp IS better with my Vandersteen 3A Signatures. You can actually not use the subs(pair of 2wq's) and not really miss anything. I have not found this level of performance in this price range before($3495) I finally get to really hear these speakers do their thing.
I have adopted opinions over the 35+ years I have been playing with this stuff but I have never run across an amp that totally changed my way of thinking like this one. This is the overall best amp I have found (so far) driving the Vandersteen's.
bigtee
I tend to do as the last couple of posters have done, I buy stuff and listen to it. That way, I know if it will please me or not. I also buy just for the opportunity to listen and then sell if I don't want to keep it.
Zaikesman, what I meant was that the amp has excellent lower frequency transparency. Some amps sound wonderful through the mids and highs with superb transparency but in the lower frequencies, they lose control and sounds become less distinct and jumbled sounding(less resolution and transparency.) You don't get that see through to a kick drum or bass.
The Belles has a damping factor of well over 1000. Maybe that is why the Vandersteen's thrive on this amp. My Theta never had the low frequency control of this amp. Also, since Vandy subs(2WQ) take on the sound of the amp, now they sound considerably faster.
Since this amp has not been well reviewed, I bought it as an unknown entity on a friends recommendation. I did see in Soundstage where the reviewer pretty much conveyed my same thoughts about the amp. I caught this review right after the tornado's pass by the coast, lightning struck my front yard pine and knocked out my big screen TV last night. (along with a few other things)
I have used several sizes and brands of bi-polar and MOSFET amps over the past 20 years. Smallest being 60wpc and the largest being 500wpc. I find that I prefer the clarity and speed my ears hear in a good MOSFET amp. The only bi-polar amp that has that clarity and speed that I've owned and listend to for some time (still a record in my system at 6 years) was a Bryston 2B-LP. I attribute this to the fact that it only has one pair of output devices per channel. So no parallel matching of devices is required. I also think that the biggest contributing factor to the MOSFET sound is not the output device, but that most MOSFET designs use only two stages of gain and very little feedback. Fewer devices in the 2B-LP and two gain stages in MOSFET designs. Fewer devices seem to provide the best clarity and speed. Tops in these categories has been the BAT VK-200. Again, two gain stages, no global feedback and a MOSFET design. Am going to have to listen to the new VK-250 to see if the Russkies at BAT have been able to maintain these attributes in their newest design. Will also have to search out a Belles 350A to listen to after the good things I read about it.
Abex, do you think we will ever see the LeAmp 2s?? I have a pair on order but have lost patience and am thinking about canceling. Disgusting how M. Barnes mislead everyone on shipping this amplifier.

After reading Bigtee's post I may opt for a Belles 350A myself. Its a bit more money but it is also available and proven.
Disclaimer: I am a Power Modules Dealer.

It seems to me that Dave Belles is finally starting to get some of the recognition that he deserves. ALL of his products represent one of the biggest performance to price ratios in all of high-end audio. The Belles designs are the epitomy of how a MOSFET amp can/should sound, IMHO. At the very least, anyone that is on the hunt for a new preamp, amp, or integrated should consider the Belles products (before spending more money on another product that very likely will not be any better).

Best Regards...Mike - Father & Son Audio
I own a 350A, so I am completely neutral. HA!
Really, when people talk about the Levinsons, Krells, et al, I can almost smile to myself and feel that I have a secret. But for Dave's (Belles) sake, I should adopt a different viewpoint. This is one helluva amp. It is exactly as described above. It has the most control over speakers, that I have EVER heard, and at any price. Plus, as I stated on another thread, I can identify who's amp is which, by its inherent "sound". This amp is also the most "neutral" that I have heard. What an amazing accomplishment for a $3500. amp!
Plus I am told that the new 150 and 150 mono's are even better in some ways. That is hard to imagine. I am looking to buy the mono 350's so may sell my 350 to do that.
This is truely a magical, neutral amp. If you have a dealer, take one home and try it for a few days. It is an epiphany, for not much money comparitively speaking.
Thanks for noticing Belles, I just started a thread asking when Belles is going to get the regognition he deserves...I think it is starting to happen.
Larry