Great Vintage Amps-which one for you?

Hi, I'm 21 and I do have a passion for vintage amplifiers. There gems that are built like tanks with excellent components and the sound to die for. Too bad they don't make like this anymore. My favorite ones are most all vintage Pioneer, Nikko Alpha and NA Series (I have a Nikko NA-690 Integrated Amplifier), and Sansui AU Series. Anybody here have the passion for vintage gear?
Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64
hi, I own a few luxman amps which I think are awesome.I think they are a bargain for what prices they fetch on ebay, Craig.
Frankly, the Hafler kit built amps were tough to beat. Mine lasted over 20 years in my system. I gave it to my music starved brother who's using it now. The differences between it and my brand new Odyssey were slight.

Hammer
I have a Phase Linear amp that is almost 30 years old, and it is still cranking. I am going to have it worked on though, as I was advised that some of the internal parts need replacing from time to time. When I get it back, I will put it into a vintage system, that I just recently started using again. All of the other pieces I bought in the 70's, as well. It all still sounds great!
Sonny
I've owned a ARC D-115 Mk 2, Dynaco ST-70 and still have MC-60's all of which are great vintage gear. So far as looks go, definitely the McIntosh amps which I still have. So far as sonics go, the D-115 Mk 2 is a great performer though I found the bass a bit fatter, not as defined, and the highs a bit beamy, and glassy at times than the better crop of current tube amps although it has plenty of slam. This amp has one hell of a soundstage and a great midrange and plenty of power, 100 watts. A real classic, I hated parting with it but you can't keep them all.

Most of the all tube ARC amps from the 70's and 80's including the D-70 M-100's, D79, D-250 are all quite desirable and great vintage stuff.
I've owned a Beard P-100 since about '94. Bought it used for $500. Put a little work into it: added caps for storage, brimar and mullard tubes up front, Svet KT-88's or better yet, GE 6550A's in the rear. I would think you'd have to spend $8-10K to get better sound. The amp has balls and slam and can be as delicate as a bab'e bottom-with Thiel's, or Martin Logans or whatevah!