Separates vs. Integrated

With so many good integrated amps out there (Cary, Conrad Johnson, Musical Fidelity, etc.), what are the real advantages of going to separates? It seems to me that there many folks who simply assume a first-rate system includes a separate preamp/amp set up. MY ACTUAL QUESTION: What has been the experience of those who switched from an integrated amp to a separate preamp/power amp set up? Assuming that the extra money was spent, was it worth it? Thanks!
crazy4blues
Nobody's mentioned vinyl as a reason for going separate. I wanted a first-class phono stage and I was able to get one in the preamp I chose ( originally a Copland CTA-301, now a Klyne SK-5A ).

The alternative was an integrated with an outboard phono stage. I considered a Vecteur amp with an Audiomat, but the value-for-money calculation came down on the other side.
Except for the cost, I don't understand the 'no interconnect' as a plus for integrated amps. Is there nothing connecting the sections within a one-chassis? And there are those who rewire the inside of thier components with wire from ICs. Its an inconsequential debate, but I think the no-ic-plus is a farce.
I think that the power amp with integrated passive volume controls, ala Berning and Tenor, is starting to take hold. For those who don't need input switching, this is a real money saver. However, personally I would rather go the other way than this thread suggests, and go with monoblock amps and monoblock preamps, all with separate individual power supplies for total segregation of the signal and power supplies. In the phono, I'l like to keep that format, with 2 mono phono sections with individual power supplies like the Aesthetix IO. I feel that 2 completely separate mono systems, that join only at the cartridge, or the CD player is the ideal way to go, given good design criteria and execution of the products.
With integrateds, there is the inevitable sharing of circuitry that will degrade the potential maximum sound quality produced.
"Separate components will always offer the potential of superior sound". Why ? Give me an engineering principle why this is so. The marketers may decide that the integrated will not be their top-of-the-line, but I see no reason why it can't be. Power supplies can be separated for pre and power stages, and dual-mono construction can be used.
To me there is no reason that separates should be better than an integrated or vice-versa ... you should choose the amp appropriately for your system.
SDT99, it's more of a practical issue than anything else. There's no physical or engineering reason why someone couldn't build a 500 watt per channel tube integrated amp with phono preamps and enough power supplies to put a smile on Twl's face, but it would end up being the size of a Sub Zero. Is it marketing or is it common sense?