Separates vs. Integrated

With so many good integrated amps out there (Cary, Conrad Johnson, Musical Fidelity, etc.), what are the real advantages of going to separates? It seems to me that there many folks who simply assume a first-rate system includes a separate preamp/amp set up. MY ACTUAL QUESTION: What has been the experience of those who switched from an integrated amp to a separate preamp/power amp set up? Assuming that the extra money was spent, was it worth it? Thanks!
crazy4blues
In the past, integrated amps were always “entry level” into audio, in the last few years integrated amps have been taken to higher levels of performance. In some countries, an integrated is more desirable due to the lack of living space.

One of the biggest advantages to separates is the “upgrade path”; with separates, when wanting to upgrade, you can simply upgrade the preamp or amp, with an integrated, it’s both.

Up to a certain price point, integrated amps may hold their own with separates, but the higher up the chain you go, the focus is on separates. Also, with the separate “boxes”, manufacturers are not limited by space in development.
This is one post that I'm just going to watch explode with threads galore. All I can say is that for me to move from my YBA Passion integrated to separates, (sound wise) would take some very serious money. I probably would go with the Tenor, rather than go with separates. Still, we're talking serious money, new or used.
One reason to go with separates is to be able to use a tube pre amp with a solid state power amp which is popular with some people. I think BAT has a new integrated that has a tube pre with solid state power amp sections but otherwise you need the separates if you want to do this.
This is a good raised question since I was also analyzing +s and -s for separates v.s. integrated. Designing an integrated amp there is only a minimalistic need for the preamp section that must not even have a positive gain or even have it passive. No need for extra- pair of interconnects.
Tube pre- and solid state amp integrated designes are plenty as well so I don't think that the statement of Philjolet is the reason.
Just by banal view have anyone of you seen a high quality integrated 300W/ch/8Ohms? I didn't...
In case with SS design for both parts there will be a huge deal of space needed for heat dissipation along with heat influence on elements of both amp and preamp section. Power supply issues are also bring a conflict between two parts in one amplifier.
In case with tube-pre and SS amp in one integrated there will be no heat influence on tubes since tubes are not affected by the temperature changes but they're even more affected by the power supply conflicts.
Nowdays, there are quite a-bit integrated amps that realy do make sence but if you have sufficient enough power for your speakers.
Separates usually have better power supplies, and can isolate the preamp/amp power supplies from one another.