Pass X-250 or McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe

OK, here is my question. Do I purchase the Pass X-250 or the McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe, both would be purchased used (Pass $3K-$3K, DNA-2 Deluxe $2K-$2.5K)?

My system consists of Sony SCD-777ES, AZ Silver Ref. ICs, BAT VK-30SE tube preamp (probably upgrade it to 31SE) and B&W 803 Matrix Series II speakers. I want the sound to be sweet, very fast, detailed, airy, smooth, extended, slight warmth, bass slam and mucho dynamics and more.

Has anyone compared these amps?

Thanks your input will be well received.
bigkidz
I agree with Muralman1, I recently acquired a pair of Pass X-600s. They can almost justify the outrageous price for High-End audio. The built quality is awesome, but the most important is that they make my Revel Salons come alive.
I agree with Mr Yates and am a BIG "fan" of Nelson's power amps. However, i am not "brainwashed" into thinking that there are other designs that aren't just as good or even better for specific situations. As mentioned above, the Gamut seems to be very well built and uses very high quality parts throughout. As such, it might be worth checking into also.

Having said that, i don't think that you could go wrong with either a Pass or McCormack product. I do think that there are sonic differences between them and an audition would be in order before plunking down the cash and making a long term commitment to either of them though. I don't think that it is so much a matter of which amp is "better" at this level so much as which one is more compatible with your system and personal preference.

Either way, don't forget to take into consideration that most all of Nelson's amps that i've ever tinkered with sound best when they are left on 24/7. I would "assume" that the McCormack might be similar but i have limited experience with these amps. You might want to check into how much idle current these amps pull and make sure that your installation will allow adequate ventilation for whichever one you pick. Sean
>

Personally I don't think Pass is a good match to
B&W speakers. The combo always sounds too analytical
to me. DNA-2 will be a much better match. Belles 250A
and Odyssey stratos are all very good selections.

my 0.02
RULEE
My vote also for Pass X250, Mccormack sorry in my opinion is not in the same league, email me direct if you have any question.
First, with the high-end system you have and money your looking to spend on an amp, I wouldn't make any decision on an amp without auditioning them in your system and home. You're mixing a tube preamp with a SS amp, so (while rare) there are tech. issues that may impact performance and proper matching.

Instead of these huge single amplifiers, you may want to consider biamping with two smaller amps. Bi-amping almost always yields better results.

As for McCormack versus Pass, I think the McCormack offers great value, but, for elite systems, the upgrades are a necessity. The Rev A Gold upgrades put this amp in rarefied air (the Gold upgrades being the key to super elite performance). You can't beat Pass craftsmanship though, so either way I think you will be happy.