using a transformer to separate your gear power

I have been curious about the power conditioner component. Being a newbie, I'm skeptical. A local dealer said that an effective component within the better power conditioner is a transformer that keeps the voltage the same. The idea of the transformer making its own power (electron path) makes sense. Is this the heart of the pc's benefit. As we all know, they come with lots of neat dials/lights/face plates/macho gizmos....Could a person just locate a transformer of this sort and make a 'clean power' box?
truthrider
In responce to Rives Audio about ballanced power devices, you may want to contact Equi-Tech directly to find out why ballanced power conditioners are at risk to the consumer. I have heard that they will be banned soon due to electrical shock hazzards. personally I have compared the Equi-Tech units to the Ensemble & Richard Gray and found much better results with the latter. to answer your question, Yes I import the Ensemble line from Switzerland. you can find out more information at: http://aaudio.com/ensemble.html
I'm glad to see interest in this topic. Have any of you sourced balanced transformers? I like good sound but don't like the high $ to get it. I have heard the Richard Grey unit and that sound is what I am after.
Truthrider: They are expensive. The one I used was an engineering unit for a medical device that was no longer needed, so I got it for free. Finding 6.5 kAV units are not easy and they are expensive--as are the Equitech units. I did also contact (by e-mail) Equitech and let them know that it has been reported here that their devices may be a serious safety hazard and are likley to be banned in the US. I am hoping they will respond, as I have spoken to the engineers there before and they have boasted about their UL listing. It makes these claims of safety hazard and likely banned in the US hard to believe, but we will see what they have to say about it.
We have used a isolation transformer for years. We use a standard line no current limiting conditioner for amps, pre. Isolation transformers for all digital. My HDTV for that matter. The differences with and without isolation transformers is staggering. We actually plug our isolation devices into our line conditioner for even greater improvement. The tonal qualities, soundstage, blacker blacks etc. is all improved using these devices. We do not use the balanced type so I'm not sure as to the safety issues mentioned above.

I find myself commenting here on a rumor that balanced power is on its way out in the US.

This is patent nonsense.

In 1996, Article 530 Part "G" was adopted in the National Electrical Code by the members of Technical Panel #15 which includes representation from literally every segment of the electrical industry including electrical inspectors, chief electrical engineers of large corporations such as Universal Studios, manufacturers, IBEW Union representatives and a host of other electrical authorities.

In the most recent edition of the 2002 National Electrical Code, Article 530 Part "G" was superceded by a new article dedicated soly to the implementation of balanced power. The committee felt that its place deserved an article of its own in the codebook. That would be Article 647. The primary difference between the former text and the current version is that the scope of balanced power has been widened to include ANY sensitive electronic apparatus, not only sound and video equipment.

This doesn't sound to me like anyone is going to ban anything. Rather, it is quickly becoming the electrical industry standard for applying power to sensitive electronics of any type.

I hope this straightens out any confusion.

Thanks for the space.

Martin Glasband
President, Equi=Tech Corporation
Author Article 530 Part "G" 1996, 1999 NEC
Author Article 647 2002 NEC