using a transformer to separate your gear power

I have been curious about the power conditioner component. Being a newbie, I'm skeptical. A local dealer said that an effective component within the better power conditioner is a transformer that keeps the voltage the same. The idea of the transformer making its own power (electron path) makes sense. Is this the heart of the pc's benefit. As we all know, they come with lots of neat dials/lights/face plates/macho gizmos....Could a person just locate a transformer of this sort and make a 'clean power' box?
truthrider
Sean has some very valid points about Isolation transformers. due to the fact that your Digital gear produces the most noise in your system it's crucial that they be isolated from your Analog gear. Ensemble of Switzerland has been building special isolation transformers specifically for this purpose for over 10 years now, and have perfected their use for Digital audio in their latest designs. keep you Amp plugged directly to the wall where it can draw all the current it needs. once your digital gear is cleaned up and unable to contaminate your Analog then you won't have to worry about filtering your amplifier. also we have tried ballanced power devices such as the Equi-tech and found them to do more harm than good. ballanced power devices can also be dangerous and if i'm not mistaken will soon be banned for sale in the US.
Artistic audio: Can you be more specific about the dangers of balance power supplies? I used one for several years and was very happy with the sonic improvements. The transformer was rated at 6.5 kAV, so it was up to the task. Is the problem with the balanced poles going into the equipment--is the equipment not designed to handle power like this. As I said, my sonic results were fantastic, and I didn't have any of the current restrictions that I found (particularly for my amplifiers) with all other power conditioners I tried. I have not tried Ensemble. Perhaps you have more information on their unit--are you a dealer for them by chance?
In responce to Rives Audio about ballanced power devices, you may want to contact Equi-Tech directly to find out why ballanced power conditioners are at risk to the consumer. I have heard that they will be banned soon due to electrical shock hazzards. personally I have compared the Equi-Tech units to the Ensemble & Richard Gray and found much better results with the latter. to answer your question, Yes I import the Ensemble line from Switzerland. you can find out more information at: http://aaudio.com/ensemble.html
I'm glad to see interest in this topic. Have any of you sourced balanced transformers? I like good sound but don't like the high $ to get it. I have heard the Richard Grey unit and that sound is what I am after.
Truthrider: They are expensive. The one I used was an engineering unit for a medical device that was no longer needed, so I got it for free. Finding 6.5 kAV units are not easy and they are expensive--as are the Equitech units. I did also contact (by e-mail) Equitech and let them know that it has been reported here that their devices may be a serious safety hazard and are likley to be banned in the US. I am hoping they will respond, as I have spoken to the engineers there before and they have boasted about their UL listing. It makes these claims of safety hazard and likely banned in the US hard to believe, but we will see what they have to say about it.