Old Classic Receivers: A Mistake to Buy?

I was contemplating purchasing a 70's receiver, as I used to love the construction and appearance of the Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz. However, when I ran this by an audio friend, he said, "Forget it."

He says: They sound terrible. The caps & resistors used before the early 90s' were dreadful. The electrolytics are drying up and will start crackling and substantially degrade the sonics. The switches and controls used were almost never sealed, so they deteriorate and make noise and can't be fixed even by taking them apart and cleaning them.

Tuners: He says that nearly all non-digital tuners used varactors, which go out of alignment and cause problems, so no old tuners, with the exception of the Mac MR-78 and possibly a few others, are worth dealing with.

I am tempted to believe all that he is saying is true, but I see a market for these items, and also know that people claim they are still using these pieces for 25 years.

What's the truth here? Can some of the techies enlighten me?
kevziek
I have an Sansui AU6500 integrated sitting in my office. I bought it new in 1974 (along with a Thorens TT, and a pair of Pioneer speakers) to take to college. The amp has been in service in one degree or another nonstop since 1974. The ONLY problem with it in all these years is the orange LED to indicate power-on, burned out sometime in the '80s. All metal chassis, iron in the PS, rugged parts/build, AND pretty good sound to boot. One of my kids will be off to college in Sept. 2003, and the Sansui is going along as the core of a small dorm system.
I have had my marantz 2500 since new, 2/78 and it's been used weekly ever since without any problems. Thats now over 25 years of pure enjoyment almost non stop. The look, the feel, the sound, the classic 70's gear just cant be beat!

Even if it died today, $1250 over 25 years I think I got my money's worth. Nothing made today will last that long or look as good doing it!

My sansui 9090 I picked up used in 1980 has been in daily use in my workshop since 1984 and only the lamps have been replaced.

I see no reason to buy new, black plastic mass produced disposable junk when my classic gear is still working fine.

Even if they die and for some reason are not repairable, they will be kept around just for their Classic Look!

Art comes in many forms, most of todays audio gear is not one of them!
Someone mentioned a Yamaha CR-600.... I have had one since 1973 or so. When I upgraded to a Luxman R1120, I gave my old system to my father who used it daily, and even managed to blow the bass/mid driver on my B&W DM4's. When he died, my daughter had it for years in her room, used daily. I now have it driving our stereo speakers for the tv sound output. Only thing that has gone over that time has been the lights once. The sound is excellent. I have used the Yamaha a couple of times on my AR-9's, and the only thing they lack compared to my updated Luxman M4000A's that I had for years was volume. Sound was excellent. They are still chugging along thirty years later. Both my Luxman M4000A's are in being fixed, but the Yamaha, overbuilt like a tank, continues to surprise me. I picked up an old Yamaha CR-800 on eBay for my classroom and it sounds just fine... except once in a while the local cable station goes funny. Does the same at home, so not just the receiver.

As for looks, I will take a Champaign Luxman any day over these numerous ugly black beasts out there. : )

Gil K in BC, Canada
I also loved the look and feel of Marantz tuners and receivers from the 70s.But your friend is right about
the repair issues associated with " solid state classics" gear.Nothing lasts forever.The old tube gear is easy to work
on and the parts can be upgraded.I rebuilt My Fisher FM100B
a few years ago and it works and sounds about as good as can be expected given the current state of programs on the FM dial.Where the tuner really shines is on the PBS stations.If you like the looks and the sound of the "classic"gear by all means buy it.But be aware of the sands in the hourglass running out and don't pay to much
for it. _scotty_
Something nobody's mentioned is the cheap phenolic circuit boards used back then. They were really junk.