McCormack Preamp???

Hi...

I am "new" to higher end audio. I just purchased a used McCormack DNA 1 Rev A to be used with Maggie 1.6 speakers.
As I am starting from scratch, I do not have a CD player yet.

I do not see many comments on about the McCormack RLD-1 preamp. This was on my short list. Is this a good value or am I making a mistake?

Another thought I had was to get a Placette Passive Pre-amp... if I did not like the sound or wanted more impact, I could get another amp and use the Placette as a remote volume control.

Any comments on the RLD-1 or others? My budget would be around $1500.

thanks

John
johnirish
The passive is a good route so long as you get a CD player with a very good, stable, low impedance, high voltage output stage. Somewhere along the line you need good preamplification for proper dynamics. If you can find such a player, then the volume controls on the placette will be superior to most active preamp volume controls, and that can make a difference in transparency.
But I'm sort of quibbling in details. A priori, the RLD should be a decent match for your system and would take care of the impedance matching problems, making the choice of CD player less crucial.
Unless a remote is a must for you, McCormack TLC-1 is another excellent passive you can consider. It should match with your DNA with no problem. You can get a used one cheap in the market. Very satisfied with its performance, I've been using one for several years.

Hope this helps.
I have a TLC-1 deluxe and a RLD-1 used with a DNA-2 amp.The TLC-1 will give great tranparency and good dynamics if used with a good dac or cd player (I use the Camelot Tech. Uther dac & Morganna 24/96 player with great results).The RLD-1 would be great match if you want a remote, it has great dynamics and overall sound quality for the money.If interested in what other components are in my system and the different power cords,interconnects I've used with the McCormack units you can email me.I think you will be very pleased with the DNA-1 rev.A it is a excellent amp. Happy listening & good luck. Don
Forget about the Placette, the McCormack TLC-1 is the "PERFECT" match with your DNA-1. Don't waste money trying to mix and match with other brands. The money that you would save will get you a very good CD player.
I had used an ALD-1 but the TLC-1 is much more transparent.