Tube Pre amp or Solid Pre Amp

I am new with the high-end audio and I am look for a new or used pre amp to go with my system but I do not know what kind of preamp (tube or solide) would be best for my system.
Speakers: Vienna Bethoven
Amp: Bryston 4BST
CD player: Theata mile (run direct to amp)
Speaker cable: 8TC ( shot gun )
Interconect : Silver from homegrown audio.
neronian
I agree with Stehno, if your trying to take the edge off, the cheapest route would be to change interconnects. You might even try all copper. Cardas would definetely take the edge off, they are sweet. " IMHO "

The Rogue and the BAT are good suggestions for tube pre's. I think bewteen the two you will find BAT sweeter ( in your price range ) The BAT VK3i can be bought between $800-1250 used.

happy listening
I used to own a BP-25 with my 4B-ST amp and the BP-25 is dead quiet and neutral to the max - what you send in is what comes out. I preferred the sound once I inserted a Rogue 66 linestage with Mullard tubes. If I were to compare the two preamps I would liken the BP-25 to a black & white HDTV - every detail but after a time became sterile. The Rogue is like a great color TV (Non-HD) - less detail but with the "color" can be viewed for longer periods without fatigue. But hey thats just my system and my ears, the BP-25/4B-ST combo has rec'd many great reviews.

If it were me I would look for either a Magnum version 66 or get a cheap 66 (about $650 used) and have Rogue "magnum" it for $250. Conversely you could find a Rogue 99 within your budget and if lucky maybe a used Magnum 99. Good luck!
I am using a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 to drive my Bryston 4B ST. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. From what Tfalls writes it sounds like the Bryston 25 will work fine as well. A check of the ads shows that a used Line 3 can be had for around $2200 plus shipping. The Bryston 25 will probably sell for less. I personally don't think that changing you interconnects out will make a noticeable difference unless the ones you currently using have low grade connectors. Good luck.

I bought an Audible Illusions Mod 3 (not 3A) for $650 to use as a "stopgap" until my turn in the long Supratek line comes around. I am pairing it with solid state monoblocks and must say that it is probably the best bargain I have seen so far in high end. I considered the Rogue as well and think you would most likely be happy going in either direction. I have been delighted with the performance of the M3, which includes a very good phono stage. FWIW, I had the Vienna Beethovens in my system until I upgraded to Piega P10s. I think you will enjoy what tubes will do for the Beethovens, which are great speakers. I think you are putting together a very nice system.

For my listening tastes, mixing tubes and solid state is the way to go.

Good listening,
I started with all tubes from cd player to amp. I called solid state SS amps I was so unenamored with them. When I got some decidedly inefficient speakers, I started looking for a replacement. Powerful tube amps are so expensive. A friend who builds his own class A amps told me not to think twice and buy the Pass Labs X150 and a Pass Labs Aleph P if I couldn't afford their current X pre amps. Being tubular, I went only part way. I decided to keep tubes in the cd player and pre amp and bought a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 to go with the Pass X150. Overall, I was happy with the system, except the mids were a bit chalky. Of course I immediately held the SS amp guilty. My amp builder friend told me not so, it had to be the pre amp and I should get the Aleph P. So I did. He was right on all the way. When I was running all tubes, I loved the liquid mids, and shimmering highs. I also enjoyed the well articulated bass. What I didn't like was the back ground sweetened broth that held the music fast to the speakers. I thought, I just wanted the realness of tubes, but for it to jump out naked at me from darkness. Now with the tubed cd player, and Pass X150 and Pass Aleph P that is exactly what I have.

Moral: If you know someone out there that is a wizened audiophile, listen to him/her, it will save you big bucks.