odyssey amp's how do they compare to others

are other amp's just over priced? could most people tell one amp from another if it was covered with a cardboard box?the stratos seem to get rave reveiws.am I just crazy to send more money on other move expensive amps.thanks in advance to everybody this is a great website
nikonf
Interesting.
First of all, the marketing person in charge would be me. Second, some of the points of reviews are very well taken. On the one hand you have politics, and on the other (with personal reviews) you have ownership pride. Always look between the lines.
We have a total of over 1000 pcs sold, and the vast majority of customers are through the different web sites like this. We've been back ordered over 6-8 weeks for the past 8 months now. Of course, there's also a much higher % of our customers posting on the web as well, considering that this is much more a priority area to them than the "regular" customer who shops in stores.

Having said that, we can certainly back up everything with professional reviews as well. Now, as for the design, "Stehno" is absolutely correct in that it's actually the Symphonic Line RG 11 amp from Germany. I always make a point of the fact that this RG 11 is a SL, and that it used to be $ 3,400. We actually improve upon the PS and the case, and drop the price 70 %. That's why our customers are so nuts about the amp. It's all in the price / performance. We simply want to offer a great amp at a great price, period.

As for the manufacturing, the amps are build by a multi-million $ company near Syracuse. They operate under ISO 9000 compliance, and the reason why we do that is because their quality is outstanding. I'm very, very proud of all the quality and work that goes into these amps, and especially the price point that we're able to hit with the direct marketing. However, to imply that we're writing all the good press on our product is just a little shy of character assassination. Maybe in turn somebody should take a look at possible motives ??? We've seen this many times before, close to 20 reviews had to be removed (anything from 1 star to 5 star ratings) because of bogus reviews. People who never even seen the amp tried to bring it down for whatever reason. The same people also forget that they're playing with other's livelihoods as well. It's crazy.

Anyway, if in doubt, just email some of the posters. That simple. As for the used market; over 95 % of our amps are still in the original owners hands, and if a unit is on sale like here at audiogon, it usually sells within a week and for about 85 - 90 % of the new price. Indication enough ? Or maybe we buy all the used units off the market as well ??? I hope that this explanation helps to prevent further rumors.

Klaus @ Odyssey
Here is my $.02. I will likely some day end up with a pair of stratos monoblocks. Because the hype intrigues me so much and because several people on audiogon who I think know their business love them. Since I was pretty close to buying a pair I contacted two people who had already sold theirs on audiogon figuring this is a good way to get the other side of the picture. One person said he thought they sounded ordinary in his system and he tried to post a three star evaluation on audioreview and for whatever reason they would not post it. The second said he in general found it equal to other amps in its price range. I have noticed that in reading the audioreview adds an awful lot of them are posted by people who are upgrading from really old midfi receivers/amps. Not a negative comment as I did the same not that long ago. I talked with Klaus once and agree he is refreshingly polite and helpful. I had hoped that they had a demo/loaner to try versus having to use a brand new unit and having to keep it on during its long burn-in and the guilt trip of returning it if not wanting it. I hope that someone here has had some of the great amps out there and this amp and can give a real world comparison. From the audioreview posts its hard to think this is not one great product.
Sorry to ramble.
A little over 1000 Psc. sold and close to 10% of them buyers ran over to audioreview and posted feedback. HUM... seems strange that we have amp mfg. that have sold 10% more then odyssey and be it a good or a bad review, their posting on audioreview dont even add up to .5%. And that just dont go for amps. Iam talking preamps, source, audioracks cables ect, ect,. fkb says maybe I should email the posters of the reviews!! Good point, If I was nyeve to the internet and did not know that 1 person could create multible email acounts, then perhaps I would. Now a new question comes into play from jetter's post "One person said he thought they sounded ordinary in his system and he tried to post a three star evaluation on audioreview and for whatever reason they would not post it." Is someone being paid off here??

Let me say this again I am not here to bash or discredit this amp, And I want to thank (Ton1313) I just took a trip to the Odyssey Forum and raed a few stings and have come to relize how this amp got so many reviews. It seems that there is a group of owners that talk back and fourth about many audio topics but I would tend to beleave that a major % of them own the Odyssey amp. So bringing all theses owners together would warrent the issue on the amount of post reviwes this amp has recived. Just still wondering why the X owner of the amp could not post his review that was not a 5 Star.
Another point on the Audioreview angle. 5 "overall" stars come pretty easily there. Klaus himself will admit that the monoblocks better the steroe Stratos and some of the Symphonic line amps better the monoblocks. Klaus himself will tell you that. So take all that with a grain of salt and realize all your seeing are happy customers trumpeting their product.

That said, the fact that nobody has posted less than five stars is rather amazing and to a certain extent ridiculous. As a stereo Stratos owner, I suppose I should go out there and put in 4 stars overall, 5 stars for value.
As an addition to my previous post I would like to clarify that to be honest I cannot remember if the individual said that audioreview "did not" or "would not" post his review if this difference is relevant.